Winter Days (Short Story)

Dika ran up to her Aunt Natalia, pulling on the woman's dress. She looked down at her niece, raising an eyebrow at the little girl. Dika didn't usually come to Natalia alone. It wasn't because the girl didn't love her, but she liked to hang out with her brothers has well. 

"What is it Dika?" Natalia asked her. 

"Everyone's busy," Dika answered. "And since it's really cold out I thought we could do something inside. Together." 

"Alright," Natalia said with a smile. She picked the Alaskan up, carrying her to the kitchen. "How about we snuggle up with a nice cup of hot chocolate?" 

"Okay!" 

After a few minutes the two were sitting on the couch with a big blanket wrapped around them. They each held a steaming cup filled with chocolate to warm their hands. They talked about simple things and how Alaska and Belarus was doing. Natalia couldn't stop smiling during the conversations. She grinned when the girl fell asleep after an hour of this. It was a good day and had cheered her up to just spend time with her only niece. 

Years later Natalia stopped walking when she saw Dika sitting on the couch looking upset. It must have been from work. She was now a state and that got to her sometimes. The Belarusian got an idea and walked to the kitchen. She walked over to Dika and wrapped a quilt around her, putting a cup of hot chocolate in her hands. 

"Since it's really cold outside I thought we could spend the day together. Just us," Natalia told her, sitting next to the girl. 

"That sounds wonderful Aunt Natalia," Dika said, snuggling up to her aunt. 

It became a thing the two did. Whenever it was cold outside and no one was around to make the other happy, Natalia make them a nice warm drink and they snuggled up. They enjoyed when it was a cold, winter day when most find it awful.