Voices (Short Story)

The girl looked at her laptop, taking small sips out of her drink. She was looking up things to help with a story, a small smile on her face. She saw her phone was blinking, so she picked it up to see what was going on. She didn't think anything could go wrong today, until she heard something whisper her name. She turned around, wondering who it was. Yet nothing was there. She didn't think much of it until she heard another whisper. 

'Failure. Stupid. Can't do anything right.' 

She closed her eyes, knowing what was going on. Not now though, she wasn't upset. Yet the whispers kept going, louder and louder until tears were in her eyes. 

'Stupid! Failure! Faker! No one loves you! Ugly! Just die! No one will miss you! STUPID!' 

She covered her ears, hoping her mind would stop the voices has they kept telling her things. She was sobbing at this point, not knowing what to do. She looked up at her screen at words her friend once said. Imagine the characters you like talking to you, telling you it's alright. 

She closed her tearful eyes, thinking of those fake people. They ranged from different medias, but none of it matter to her. She just kept thinking of the kind words they would say, how they would help cover her ears from the hateful voices hissing at her. How they would help. A small smile appeared on the girls face has she hugged her pillow tightly, thinking it was a person who was good at hugging. The voices were nothing more than a small buzz in her ear, fading away fast. She wiped her tears away and went back to what she was doing, now listening to the new voices in her head. 

'You can do it! Don't listen to them, they just hate you for being you. You're beautiful, don't forget it. They don't mean anything to you. You're very smart! Just keep being you.' 

"Just keep going Beth," she whispered with a grin.