On the Inside (Short Story)

Alfred walked up to Dika who was sitting at a table. She looked deep in thought, so of course he wondered what she was up to. He sat down next to he, a smile on his face like always. 

"What's up dudette?" he asked her with his large grin. 

"Nothing," she mumbled with a shrug of her shoulders.  

"Doesn't sound like nothing," he pointed out. "Sound upset. Something wrong?" 

"Nothing you need to be worried about Al." 

"Yeah it is! You're my friend! If you're upset and I want to help!" 

"Yeah right," Dika said. "You never want to help anyone but yourself." 

That statement earned a blink in surprise from Alfred. He knew something bad must be going on for Dika to talk to him like that. He'd never heard her talk to anyone that way. He didn't really like it. 

"That's not true Dika," the American told her. "I want to help out a lot of people. I just usually don't get to since my boss won't let me." 

"Don't you have someone else you can go annoy," the Alaskan huffed in anger, looking done with him. He sighed, shacking his head. 

"No," he mumbled. "I don't." 

"What do you mean? You have loads of friends." 

"No, I don't. I really only have maybe two. That's not counting my family. Sometimes I think even they don't like me that much. I guess the hero has to walk a lonely road. I may seem happy, but to be honest, that's all a show. I don't want you all to worry too much about me. I can handle myself. You all can't. You know, sometimes I wish I could be has calm and uncaring has you." 

"You... you think I'm calm and uncaring?" Dika asked in surprise. 

"Well yeah," Alfred said. "You're harder to read than your father." 

"That doesn't mean I'm uncaring or calm. To be honest, I'm a nervous wreak. Only Papa knows this, but if I'm left alone for too long, I start to freak out. I have this large fear of being alone. I'm always worried that I'm going to be left alone and no one will come back for me. Those ninety five years I was alone... I hated them. I couldn't see my family, I couldn't see my home, I was just alone. Sure I got to see you every once in a while, but it didn't make up for the fact. No one wanted me, no one seemed to care. I'm not calm. And I care a lot about you. After all, you are my friend." 

Alfred smiled at her, putting an arm around the white haired girl like a big brother would. She smiled back, putting her head in his shoulder. The two just sat there together, looking much like a pair of siblings. 

"I guess you can't tell what a person is like on the inside by just looking at them, can you?" Alfred asked her, breaking the silence. 

"I guess not," Dika said.