Pain (Short Story)

Gilbert was starting at his little brother. He was so young... yet he was dying. There was no way to save him and it was killing Gilbert. He should have protected Ludwig more. Those men who stabbed the young boy wanted the Prussian dead, not his little brother. 

He took Ludwig's hand, tears running down his face. The young boy looked peaceful in his sleep. Yet he wasn't going to be for long. Death was slowly taking him right in from of his big brother's eyes. The albino couldn't take not being able to say goodbye to the boy. 

He heard a little groan. He looked up see Ludwig had opened his eyes and was looking at Gilbert. 

"Gilly," he whines. "My body hurts." 

"I know Ludwig," Gilbert said, sniffing a little. 

"Make the pain stop," he told his brother. "I don't like it." 

"Okay Lud," the older man replayed, taking out a knife. "I'm going to make the pain stop now. But first, I want to hear you say how much you love me." 

"I love you to death and more Gilbert," the young boy told his little brother. "I'll never stop loving you." 

"Now your going to go to sleep for a long time Ludwig. So I'm going to say goodbye. But I'll see you later, okay?" 

"Okay Gilly. Bye-bye," Ludwig said, happy the bang was going to stop. Yet he didn't see his older brother raise the knife. Before he could say a thing, Gilbert had a knife in his brother's heart. 

The little boy didn't even have time to figure out what had happened. He just faded off into the light just like his father had. Gilbert sobbed into his little brother's dead body, already regretting killing him. 

"At least I made the pain go away," he whispered to the dead boy, tears running done his face. "Bye-bye Ludwig. I love you."