NuNew's POV March 22, 2026

Start from the beginning

"She is turning two in four months.", I said.

"It is going so fast.", commented Nat.

Nat and Max were mated and were trying to get pregnant. This meant that Nat was over a lot more helping, trying to learn everything he could about being a parent. Somedays I was afraid Star would put him off ever having children because she was such a gremlin. But I was grateful for the help. Everyone at this table had an open-ended invitation into our home. Especially after everything we had been through together.

"NuNew, you should come out with us tonight. When was the last time you went dancing? Come on.", Nat said, trying to coax me.

"I can't, we never get to see Hia, and he will be home tonight. We need family time. Another time.", I said.

"I told you.", James said, addressing Nat and shaking his head.

It's not that I did not want to go dancing. I did. I was feeling good about myself. I had lost the baby weight, and I was learning to embrace the differences in my body. I was curvier, and not as timid. Confidence looked good on me. I even had a new outfit that I bought as a reward for losing weight. Tonight would have been the perfect time to wear it. Oh well, another time.

That was when I saw Strawberry starting to get mad at another little boy and I stiffened ready to run in incase it turned ugly.

"My turn,", Star said.

The little blond nemesis who was a little older than Star shook his head and kept playing with the toy. Star stared at the boy and tried again.

"Your turn all done. My turn.", Star said, and put her hand on the toy.

In all fairness, this was what I had been teaching Star. The concept of my turn your turn and waiting for her turn. Star had done what I asked of her. What I had not taught her yet was what to do when someone refused to cooperate. Knowing Star, it was going to get diabolical.

The boy pushed her hand off and turned away. I stood up.

"All done. My turn.", Star said, louder now.

I got ready to hop the little fence around the play area. I did not think she would hit, but she would definitely do something. The attendant was busy with another situation and so those two were on their own. Which I believe was the best way to parent. Teach them and let them try for themselves and then fine-tune. Stepping in now would stop them from developing problem-solving skills. But no one said I could not hover.

"NO!", the boy yelled.

Star looked for me and saw me standing there. I smiled and mimed taking an exaggerated deep breath. My good girl took a deep breath too then faced the boy.

"Share. Your turn. My turn. Your turn. My turn. No, your turn, your turn.", Star said.

"My turn my turn my turn my turn.", the boy said.

My eyes widened. My daughter was the light of my family's lives. Everyone doted on her. She had no siblings and therefore had never been refused like this. When I saw Star's face get red I started to move.

"Where mama?", Star said and pointed to his chest.

"Mama?", he asked and pointed at himself.

"Mama.", she said and pointed to him again.

The little boy pointed a pudgy finger at a distracted woman sitting at the table across the play area opposite where we were sitting.

"Mama now.", Strawberry said and began dragging the little boy who was still clutching the toy to where his mother was.