Note From The Author

Why Mali? I went there with Engineers Without Borders in 2008. Our goal, was to bring water and electricity to Tuareg school children. The Tuareg's are a nomadic tribe. They move around with their herds to find food and water. Their wealth are their animals. They are musicians, craftsmen of silver and leather, and of course herders.

They do stay in one place, but never for long. They move with the seasons. One of the spots they seasonally went to was outside of Timbuktu. That is where we met them. That is where the schools were.

I will never forget the children. They had chalkboards and chalk to write their lessons and since there was no electricity, they all sat near a window to see. They were so happy, and trusting, but they were little gremlins too. Especially when they fought to get my empty water bottles. I was such a sucker for them. I basically gave them everything I had every time I saw them. Let's say I was popular. LOL

The first thing I remember about meeting the Tuareg was they did not work during the afternoon hours. I think they thought we were nuts because they were drinking tea in the shade watching us as we sweat buckets trying to figure out solutions for problems we had no idea we would encounter. I felt so self-conscious. Since there is no television, social media, or internet there I have a feeling we were the afternoon entertainment. LOL

Let's say we knew very little about how things actually worked in the desert. So we collaborated with the local women's groups and the men to find sustainable solutions. I was in awe. I played such a tiny part in this big endeavor. But I am grateful for the opportunity to see a place and its people that were beyond my imagination.

I will save the full story for another time. It is a good one. Full of children, friendly people, and diverse cultures. I met and slept in the homes of Muslims, I camped in the Sahara desert, I met tribes of animists, I traveled down the Niger River in a little boat and camped on the shores of the river. I sang with local musicians. I met a very holy man who made me a magical talisman to find a good husband. (I met my husband that year and we have a solid marriage and a son.) 

Let's say the country and people of Mali have a special place in my heart. Unfortunately, I have not been able to go back. I wanted to bring my husband and son to meet the holy man who blessed us with good fortune. I want to see the friends I made and meet their new children and grandchildren.

I don't know what happened to the people I met. Mali has had multiple uprisings since I was there and is now struggling to find some kind of peace. Last I heard some were in a refugee camp in 2012.

The thing about Mali, it is a country where so many different kinds of people all live together. They speak 13 different languages. All sorts of beliefs and cultures live in harmony. They have survived so much. I have faith they will survive this too.

When I thought of a reason that Zee would be unreachable, I immediately thought of the Sahara Dessert. The world could have blown up, and I would not have known. No news reached us there. There was only the immense night sky filled with stars that humbled me with my insignificance. All I heard was the sand blowing and the sounds of animals. All I saw was endless sand and a sky that was vast and blue. Not a single cloud, ever. 

So don't be too mad at Zee. And I hope you are not disappointed with where he has been all this time. We will be hearing from him soon.

Thank you for reading thus far. I cannot believe how many people are interested in my little story. I am humbled.

Here is information about the actual project I participated in.