Event January 18, 2024

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

I let out a breath and try to turn over, but something is tugging at me and I can't move. My butt hurts and I need to adjust. I try again and feel a sharp pain in the back of my left hand. I fall back asleep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

What is that incessant noise? It's bugging me. But not enough to open my eyes.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

This time I hear voices. So annoying. Won't they be quiet? I hear Mommy's voice. I go back to sleep. Mommy is here. Everything is fine.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

"Thirsty."

"Mommy. Thirsty."

So tired.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Beep...Beep.

Voices again. Can't people be quiet? Is someone arguing? I am tired, go away. It's getting louder.

Beep...Beep.

I open my eyes to little slits. It smells funny in here, like a doctor's office. The room is dark, and the beeping noises go crazy and start alarming.

Beep...Beep.

Mom is sitting next to me, holding my hand, but her eyes are looking past me at something. I try to call her name, but it's hard. When I do get it out my voice sounds raspy and weak.

"Mom."

My mouth is so dry.

"Mom."

I try and clear my throat.

"Mom."

She looks down at me and gasps. Why is she so upset? Why is she crying?

"Mom, what's wrong?"

She is laughing now.

"You're worried about me when you are in this condition? That so you NuNew."

She yells my dad's name and something in her voice makes the arguing stop and then he is there next to mom.

"Dad."

Now he is crying.

"Water."

Mom puts a straw in my mouth. Am I at a hospital? I suck gratefully.

"Where am I?"

"You are at the hospital baby.", Mom said.

"Hospital?"

I try and look around and see people I don't know and damned if my pregnancy instincts don't kick in and I start to growl. It was pathetic at first, like a raspy kitten, but the growling helped to clear my throat and now it is menacing.

Who are these people? I need to protect Strawberry. They are going to hurt us. They better not come near us. I sit up and Mom is trying to push me back down again. While Dad is yelling at them to get out. Once they are out of the room. I fall back on the bed panting.

"Strawberry! Am I here because something is wrong with Strawberry? Mom! Is Strawberry, okay?"

I am feeling so panicked and out of control. Tears start streaming down the side of my temples into my hair, soaking the pillow.

"Strawberry is fine honey. Strawberry is fine."

"The baby is fine?"

"Yes, honey. The baby is fine."

I close my eyes. I am so tired, but I am too afraid to sleep. What if those people come in and hurt Strawberry? Mom presses something soft that smells like my nest. It is my kitty. I need to thank Nat for his gift because this pregnancy plushy is amazing.

"You are safe baby. Daddy won't let anything happen to you or Strawberry. Go back to sleep, honey. It's your instincts, remember? Don't listen to them. Listen to Mom, okay? You are safe."

I am safe.