Event January 20, 2024

I have woken up a few times in the last two days. I know I am at the hospital now. I know I am one of the 15% and had a bad reaction to the meds. Strawberry is fine. I asked Mom to get me my phone or something. I promised Zee an update a week ago. What if he has read the emails and is worried?

Mom told me it's not time for electronics yet. No worrying. Only resting and eating. I am too tired to argue. I guess that is to be expected when my body is converting resources, I need to live to feed the baby.

Dr. U has been by several times, but I don't remember. She is supposed to come today and meet with me about treatment. Mom is with me, and Dad is on his way to be here for the talk. In the meantime, I am fussing with my temporary nest, A.KA. my hospital bed. I don't think the hospital staff are very happy about it, but I am not in a maternity ward, so they are talking about bringing in a portable nest. Until then I am very grumpy when they try and take care of me. I would laugh if it wasn't such a pain for everyone.

Little Kitty is the heart of my nest, and I am petting and snuggling with my soft plushy when Dad and Dr. U walk in. Finally.

We say our greetings and then Dr. U gets right down to business. One of the many reasons I love her.

"You are aware that the hormone therapy is not working?", Dr. U. says.

"Mm."

I am still absorbed with Kitty, but I am paying attention. I need kitty to help me calm down."

"Okay, let's talk about options. We may have found a surrogate alpha for you until Zee can be contacted and come back."

This got my attention. I don't want anyone but my alpha. Only Zee. Dr. U. knows me well.

"It is normal to be opposed to this. I know you only want your alpha, but you must think about Strawberry. At the rate your body is being depleted, you won't make it to give birth."

Nobody has told me this yet. I look around the room for confirmation and my mom looks like she is about to burst into tears, and my dad is nodding. That is how I know this is real.

Dr. U continues, not giving me time to react, but I understand enough, and I am shaking. I am suddenly alert and aware of every noise, smell, and sound. The lights are brighter, I am aware of what is going on in the hallway, and I know I could leap out of this bed and run if I had to, or fight.

"An alpha has volunteered to see if he would be compatible with you. He is a family member of Zee's. I don't know if you are aware, but Zee has an older brother. Did you know that?", Dr. U. asks.

I shook my head, but Zee did not talk about his family. He did not get along with them.

"He does, and there is a better-than-average possibility that he will be a match because he is the closest genetically to Zee. Even more than his parents. Would you be willing to meet him?

I feel wild inside. The idea of letting a strange alpha near me is an absolute no. But Strawberry.

"Dad, have you been able to get ahold of Zee?", I ask.

The three of them look above my head and share looks with each other.

"What?"

Nobody says anything. Now I am getting mad.

"What? This is my body and my baby you can't keep things from me."

"Only someone on Zee's emergency contact list can request EWB use the satellite phone to contact Zee. While you were unconscious, we reached out to his parents. They are on the list but are refusing to contact Zee.", Dad says.

"WHAT? Why not? This is their grandchild. Are they sick in the head?", I ask.

"They will only do it if you sign away your parental rights.", Dad says.

I start laughing. Like really laughing. Everyone looks worried.

"What is wrong with them? Do they think they are living in a Kdrama?"

Nobody answers me and there is an awkward silence.

"What about Zee's brother, will he help us or do I have to sign away my parental rights for that too?", I ask. 

"They told us the same conditions apply for his help."

"You know what? Tell them to go screw themselves. I don't need Zee or his brother. We can find a match somewhere else. How do other people find compatible alphas.", I ask

"They start with the alpha's family. Siblings are best. Cousins sometimes work. If there is nothing there then we look for compatible alphas that you pay for through a service.", Dr. U. says.

I start laughing again. 

"Rent an alpha. Oh my God."

Nobody else is laughing. I sigh.

They don't know that I already planned for this. 

"I need Max here right away. Dad let's start looking at agencies. I have grandma's money. I was saving it for a house, but this is more important. I also need Nat and James here, but not when Max is here. I have a plan. And mom, I need my electronics.", I say.

"Dr. U, how long do I have to find an alpha surrogate?"

"One-month maximum. If you maintain the same rate of depletion. After that, it affects the baby and the damage to you is irreversible.", Dr. U says.

"Well, shit that sucks."