Zee's POV Event March 2, 2024

Zee: I'm here, where are you?

Gun: At the bar.

Zee: OMW

My brother is sitting on a barstool slumped over with one elbow resting on the bar. I see him down a shot of what looks like whiskey, and he adds it to a line of empty glasses that he immediately has the bartender take away. I stand behind him fascinated by this unusual lack of discipline. My brother always has perfect posture and is not a heavy drinker. Also, he would never sit facing the bar if he knew a guest was arriving. He would want to see them coming.

This strange behavior makes me feel anxious. I drove over here with a good idea of what to expect. Now I am not so sure. This man with his back to me seems unpredictable.

I slide into the seat next to him and order two scotch and water, on the rocks. Neither of us say a word while the bartender pours. When he walks away, I turn to my brother and raise my glass.

"What are we toasting to?", he asks.

"My daughter. The first of the next generation of Panichs, God help her.", I say.

This gets me a wan smile and we clink our glasses together. God, he looks like shit. What is going on?

Gun sits up, pulls himself together, and turns to face me. I can't even see a hint of the cunning man that I know so well. Where is the fire in his eyes? That wicked little gleam, his only tell, is gone.

I decide to go with honesty.

"What is going on Gun? You look like shit? Is this because of mom and dad? What have they done?", I ask.

"Even my baby brother dares to insult me.", he says.

"Cut it out, you know what I mean. I am concerned. I am concerned because of what they did to NuNew. I am worried about what they will do in the future. Now that I see you, I am worried about you too. You have always been unshakable."

Gun says nothing and swirls his drink in his glass. I join him in silence and wait. Silence is a very powerful tool in conversation. Gun taught me that. It always worked against me in the past. I was younger than him and impulsive, but now I am an adult. I have a mate and a child on the way. I have traveled across the world and survived in one of the most remote and desolate places in the world. I am a changed man. I can wait.

I signal the bartender for refills. The silence continues while the bartender pours. I take a swallow of my drink and continue to wait.

"They are bankrupt.", Gun says.

"Pardon?", I ask, surely, I heard that wrong.

"They lost it all.", he says.

"I warned them not to invest, but the CEO of this tech company was some kind of snake charmer. And they are greedy. The CEO was a con artist. He tricked a lot of people and left the country with the money.", Gun says.

I stare at my brother. I would be less shocked if he told me our parents were moving to the moon. My parents = money. Money = my parents. It was the one constant in my life.

"Don't worry, they cannot touch anything in our names. Though I am sure they have been trying to find some kind of loophole. I moved my inheritance from Grandma out of the family bank. I recommend you do the same.", he says.

I nod, understanding. The Panichs have used the same bank for generations. They might bend the rules for my parents.

"What does this have to do with me and NuNew?", I ask.

But I am pretty sure I know the answer. Damn it, I just can't get rid of Janis no matter how hard I try.

"The Phomphadungcheep Family is going to bail us out. What started as an equal alliance has now become us begging for help. That is why our parents are so desperate. They need you to marry Janis so they can keep their power and their pride.", Gun says.