ZEE's POV Event October 21, 2023

I parked the car and stared blankly at the dash. It has been a year since I last saw him. My hands are trembling. Today is the first day of courting NuNew. I hope it is not too late. I would have pursued him long ago, but I had to wait until I was completely free of my parent's arrangements. There was no way I could drag someone as sweet and pure as NuNew into the twisted mess that is my family.

I jog down the street towards the nightclub. Mostly to get rid of my nerves. Max is waiting for me outside the club, pacing. Nat must be inside because the normally chill alpha looks like a restless tiger patrolling back and forth. I call from across the street and j-walk to stand beside him.

"What took you so long?", Max says.

"You growling at me?", I ask.

I punch him in the arm, and he shakes his head.

"Sorry, Nat is inside looking delectable, and I am out here.", Max says.

No more words are necessary. I would be pacing too if I were him.

"You're a good friend.", I say.

I sound sarcastic when I say this. Because of the bro code, you can't get too mushy. But Max knows that I mean it and smiles, then shrugs it off, playing cool.

"By the way, prepare yourself.", Max says.

"Why?"

I drag the word out slowly. I have a feeling. Like a tingling in my stomach. Am I nervous?

"Your boy has changed.", Max says.

Max does not say anything after that. We clear the bouncer, and we start up the stairs to the dance floor. It is Saturday night, and the place is packed. I pass people on the stairs. They look like they are around my age, dressed up for clubbing.

Prepare myself? What for exactly?

I follow Max into the deafening room. Music is thumping and I can feel the bass vibrating in my chest. It makes me want to move. Max leads me to some barstools, and I perch there scanning the crowd. A cocktail waitress gets our order, and it is not long before she brings back our drinks with a big smile for both of us. I let Max handle her. I can't seem to find NuNew anywhere. Max points and I see Nat and James. Then, I see NuNew. My heart stops in my chest and I start to salivate. NuNew looks amazing. Max wasn't kidding when he said he changed.

I can barely keep my eyes off him as he dances and laughs with his friends. It has been too long since I have seen my Nhu. It takes a lot of self-control for me to stay in my seat and not go over there and claim him. But he isn't mine, is he? I want to change that. I wanted to change that before I saw him dressed in skinny jeans and a sparkly fishnet shirt. With nothing underneath...No, scratch that. He has a skin-colored tank top under it, giving the illusion of bare skin. Wow!

He is killing me. Especially when he does body rolls and his eyes become sultry and distant. Who is he thinking about when he does that?

I watch as men and women approach him. He is an unmarked omega and is beautiful. Like, too good for anyone in this room kind of gorgeous. When did this happen? At university, he was shy and hid his beauty underneath oversized clothes and hair in his eyes. This alluring creature before me has glitter on his face, and gloss on his ripe lips. His eyes are smokey and he moves like heaven. He does not hide his curves. Instead, he is confident and knows how to handle the advances of strangers with ease.

The NuNew I remember was sensitive and shy. With round mochi eyes that were always sneaking peeks at me. Now he doesn't think of me at all.

Of course, I knew how NuNew felt about me when we were students. I had feelings for him too, but because of my circumstances, I did my best to keep things platonic. At the time, my family was insisting I marry Janis. Despite my lack of feelings for her and the fact that I preferred men. When I told them this, they told me proximity would help the feelings grow.