NuNew's POV Event June 14, 2024

Early labor began before dawn, not that I was sleeping. I have been uncomfortable for days and tonight, my lower back hurts. I am ready to have this baby. I rub my engorged abdomen.

"Sorry Strawberry. I love being pregnant with you, but it's time. Don't you want to meet Mommy and Daddy?", I ask.

I whisper because I don't want to wake up Hia, who is sleeping like an angel. It must be nice to deposit your sperm and then peace out, your job is done. I brush some strands of hair out of his eyes. He really is lovely to look at.

"Sssssss."

A contraction. I hiss in pain. I was expecting it, but it still shocked me when it happened. I start to squirm from the pain and wake up Hia. He is very sleepy. Then his eyes pop open and he is alert.

"Are you okay? Is it happening? I'll go get the bag."

If my muscles weren't bunching into knots torturing me, I would laugh.

As abruptly as it started, the contraction was over.

"I'm fine babe. Go back to sleep.", I say.

"Were you having a contraction?", asks Hia.

"Maybe, I don't know.", I say.

"Go to sleep, I will wake you.", I say.

"You are not sleeping?", Hia asks.

"I can't get comfortable.", I say.

"Do you want company?", asks Hia.

"No, I like watching you sleep. You are so pretty.", I say.

"Not as pretty as you Kitten."

He closes his eyes and is instantly asleep. I envy him. I wish I could sleep. I have a lot of work ahead of me, it would be good if I were rested. I find my place in my book and begin to read. July crawls out from God only knows where curls around Strawberry and begins to purr. I stroke him absentmindedly while I read, comforted.

ΩΩΩ

It's morning now and I am pacing around. The contractions are coming more often and hurt more. It is not terrible, if this is the worst it gets, then easy peasy lemon squee-

"MMMMMMMMmmmmmmmm"

That one lasted a half a minute. I think it's time to take a bath. Mr. U. told me it would help with the pain. I look at the time and it's a little after 8. I have been in labor for six hours now. I should probably wake up Hia. He is going to be so mad. 

I peek into our bedroom, and he is cuddling with my pillow. He probably looked for me in his sleep and grabbed whatever smelled like me. Cute.

Crawling into bed I begin to wake up Hia. His lips are so pretty, so I poke them and watch how they spring back. I poke his cute little nose and he scrunches his eyes. I would lean down and kiss him, but I don't think I can quite manage that without a lot of adjusting. I am about to poke his cheek when Hia swats at my hand. Cute! 

I smooth his eyebrow with my finger and wait. His beautiful sleepy eyes open and when he sees me, he smiles.

"Kitten."

He closes his eyes.

"Hia, it's time to wake up. I am in labor.", I say.

Well, that did it. He is awake now. Peppering me with questions. Ready to take control. I interrupt him. It's not like he is letting me answer. I laugh. He is so frantic.

"Hia. I am fine. I have been in labor for six hours. The contractions are 20 minutes apart. I am going to take a bath now."

"Six hours? Why didn't you wake me?"

"For what Teerak? There was nothing you could do, and the pain was not that bad. I was fine and I had July to keep me company while I read. Now it is starting to get uncomfortable, so I woke you.", I say.

I kiss my confused sleepy Hia and go to the master bathroom for my bath.

"Why don't you wake up and make some breakfast? Kitten is hungry.", I say.

He will feel better if he has something to do.

ΩΩΩΩ

Hia made me a big breakfast that I now regret eating because the contractions have doubled in frequency and pain. I forgot that pain makes me nauseous, and I feel like I am going to throw up. It's almost time to go to the hospital. My phone is blowing up with the group texts as Hia tries to keep everyone in the loop. I fumble with the phone and put it on Do Not Disturb.

Hia comes in with his phone. He has Mr. U. on speakerphone.

"Here he is.", Hia says.

"Hey NuNew, it's Mr. U."

He sounds so cheery like he slept all night. Annoying.

"Hey Mr. U.", I say.

"How are you feeling kiddo?", Mr. U. asks.

"I'm okay.", I say.

"Well, that's the first time I have had someone in labor say they are okay. Let's try that again. Can you tell me how you are feeling?", Mr. U. asks.

"The contractions are 10 minutes apart and I am really nauseous.", I say.

"That's more like it. Alright, here is what we are going to do..."

ΩΩΩ

The contractions are coming five minutes apart and Hia is bundling me into the car. Dr. U. and Mr. U. are all ready for us at the hospital. Mom and Dad are already there. Our friends will come a little later. It could be another twelve hours before Star is born. No point in waiting in a waiting room.

The car ride is quiet. I am focusing on what my body is doing. Hia is focusing on driving. I am excited to see our daughter.

"Hia."

He glances at me and then refocuses on the road.

"Kitten?"

"We are having a baby.", I say.

I watch his face and see it split into a huge grin.

"We are, we are having a baby.", Hia says.

"Hia?"

"Mm."

"Who do you think she looks like?", I ask.

We have had this conversation a hundred times already. But I love it.

"Hopefully she looks like you Kitten because you are beautiful.", Hia says.

I smile at our little routine. This is how it always starts, but each time it is a little different as we mix and match our features into the image of a little human.

"I hope she has your eyes.", I say.

"I hope she has your mouth.", he says.

I grin because he always says this. He must really like my mouth.

"I hope she has your cheekbones.", I say.

"I hope she has your hair.", he says.

"I hope she is tall like you.", I say.

"I hope she has your cute figure.", he says.

We pull up to the front of the hospital and I see a welcome party for me. It is supposed to be just my mom and dad, but it is them plus the whole gang. Nat and Max, Film and James, and Gun. They are all grinning at me. Hia jumps out of the car, and they cheer. He runs to open my door and when I get out, they all cheer. Now I'm going to cry.

Dad brings over a wheelchair and Hia helps me into it. Everyone is touching me and sending encouragement. There are balloons and flowers and stuffed animals and clothes and all sorts of presents. Strawberry is coming into a world full of love and I could not be happier.