Event February 10, 2024

We called Max after Janis left and he swung by after work. Everyone's lives have become cloak and dagger, because of me. We stopped saying hello to each other and started saying, 'Were you followed? Are you sure?' At this point, it's pointless to ask. I think everyone we are avoiding, already knows where we are.

"How the hell did she find out where we are?", Dad says.

Dad still has some residual aggression in his voice from the encounter with Janis. Poor Max is taking the brunt of it. Film puts his hands on my shoulders, and I smell his woodsy scent and calm down a notch or two. He begins massaging my neck. Max pauses midsentence when he sees it which makes me lower my head in shame. Dad whacks Max on the back of his head.

"Cut it out. He feels bad enough as it is." Dad says.

"Sorry NuNew. It took me by surprise. That's all.", Max says.

He gave one of those alpha head nods to Film. Film responded in kind. Do they think that's macho when they do that?

I shake my head and worry for the thousandth time about Zee's reaction.

"Mr. Perdperiyawong, I have no idea how she knew we were here. It's possible that the Panichs told her. After all, she was the one who they hand-picked to marry Zee. She must feel like she has a stake in all of this.", says Max.

Max looked at me and winced.

"Even though he refused to marry her a year ago and was disowned by the Panichs.", he says.

Film is murmuring reassuring things to me as he moves to my neck. I have to say I am impressed with Film. He has never once attempted to cross any boundary. He is like an alpha nurse/brother. I have half a mind to set him up with James. Oh wait, James has Net now. I wonder how they are doing?

I hear Film's voice rumble behind me.

"What is special about today? What made her show up today of all days?", Film asks.

He begins humming the baby beluga song for Strawberry. He could tell by my sudden movement; she took me by surprise and gave me a good kick.

I have not told them my suspicions about Zee's email being hacked. I should probably tell them now.

"I think Zee's email has been hacked."

"Why darling?", Mom says.

"Only Dr. U and I know Strawberry's gender, and Zee when he reads the email, I sent revealing Strawberry's gender. When his brother came for his surprise visit, he used the correct gender when he referred to Strawberry."

"Stop that! Don't try and rack your brains. Let it stay a secret.", I say.

We all laugh. Everyone of course is dying to know if Strawberry is he or she. Strawberry is.... Strawberry. I don't even know why everyone, including me, makes a big deal about the gender assigned at birth. Strawberry could decide she is he or them or whatever she/he/they/them is/are going to identify as. It's better to take her at face value.

"I haven't sent him anything electronically in a while.", I say.

"You have been writing letters.", Film says.

"Mm. Hm."

"Anyway, if say Janis or someone from the Panichs have access to his email and they are sharing information that would explain how they know so much.", I say.

Mom comes to sit next to me and gives my tummy a kiss. Film takes that opportunity to join the alphas. I watch all these wonderful people, some of whom have come out of the woodwork to help me. I feel like I must have done something wonderful in a past life to have so many people love me and help me. Not excluding those that are not here.

Dad takes a phone call and begins to leave the room when he suddenly waves for us to be quiet. He puts the phone down on the coffee table and presses speaker.

"I'm sorry Mr. Patrick. Would you mind repeating that?"

"Zee has requested to come home and has asked that I make sure to contact NuNew to let him know."

Everyone looks at me. I look at the phone and start shaking.

"Breathe.", Film says, quietly.

"Me?", I say.

"Pardon, I did not get that.", Mr. Patrickson says.

"NuNew is asking for more details.", Dad says, not breaking eye contact with me.

"Oh, okay. Zee received your letter NuNew and has requested to come home immediately. Since he could not call you himself, he asked that I notify you. He should be arriving in Timbuktu on February 12th. From there he will fly from Timbuktu to Bamako and from Bamako to France and from France to home. We are expecting him to arrive here February 15th give or take."

I feel like my head is going to explode and I immediately start sobbing. Everything I have held inside. All my fears and vulnerabilities. Are released in a torrent of relieved sobs. I don't even know what else Mr. Patrickson says because Mom is fussing, and Film picks me up and walks out of the room with me. He brings me to my nest.

"Nest?", he asks.

I nod my head tears and snot pouring out of me.

"Can I come in too?"

"Waaaahh."

I meant to say yes but that is all that came out of me.

He carried me into the middle of the nest and looked around. I may be a hysterical mess, but we are in my nest, so I point to the spot he is allowed to sit in. He gently deposits me in my favorite seat, hands me kitty and my cloud, and wraps me in soft silky blankets. Until all you can see are my eyes. Then he sits in his assigned seat and opens his arms. I wiggle and inch over to him and he pulls me into his lap and hums and coos wordlessly.

Mom hands him some baby wipes and he cleans my face.

I am quiet now. Film is humming tunelessly and rocking. Mom is finding out what happened after we left the room. He specifically asked Engineers Without Borders to tell me...ME...that he was coming home. That is a good sign, right? My face splits in a wide smile and I let out a breath I think I have been holding since October 22nd.

My alpha is coming home. Halle(fucking)luiah! 

Lost Alphaजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें