Chapter 23: Fortune and men's eyes

What happened to Dilton and Ben had kept Calista up all night

Barely getting any sleep, and the next day was the first day of school.

Calista tiredly walked towards her locker, where Ace was already waiting for her.

When he saw his girlfriend he smiled at her, but his smile fall when he noticed how tired she looked.

"Hey. Cali are you okay?" He asked her as soon as she was in front of him.

She shook her head "No I couldn't sleep last night."

Ace frowned at his girlfriend "Why? Nightmares again?"

Calista shook her head "No... something happened last night when me and Jug went home."

Ace looked at her in confusion, she looked around them before she leaned towards him and explained him everything.

"Doiley is dead?" Ace gasped.

Calista hit him on the back of the head and looked around. Thankfully nobody was around them.

"Keep your voice low," Calista warned her boyfriend "And yes. Ben from the drive-in, he's barely hanging on. Doctors don't know when or if he's gonna wake up. Sheriff asshole has asked me and Jug to keep the whole thing hush-hush for the family's sake. But what we saw was..."

"What was it, Cali?" Ace asked as she closed her locker.

"It was like a ritual site." She answered him.

"Like the steps for becoming a Serpent?" Ace asked her.

"Not exactly," She answered "It was darker."

"What do you mean?" He questioned.

"Their lips were blue. There were these chalices that were filled with poison or something. Animal bones in a circle. The tree had markings on it," She explained "There was a winged totem with a skull and branches."

"Was it a murder or a suicide pact gone wrong?" Ace asked her.

"I have no idea... but Jug saw Ben and Dilton playing this odd game at Pops, Dilton was raving on about the Gargoyle King." She then sighed "I will be investigating with Jug and Betty if you want you can tag along?" She smiled at him.

Ace smiled at her and leaned down to give her a sweet kiss.

"For you my princess, everything." He whispered to her.

She giggled softly, before the couple started walking towards their class.