Chapter 47: Hereditary

It was a night time and the Jones twins, Betty and Ace were at Pop's talking about the Baxter Brothers

"I think there's a real life mystery in these books," Jughead told them, as they went over the highlighted sections of the Baxter Brothers "Now, I've gone and reread the entire series and I've noticed something strange. While there is a hoarse voice and an overall tone, sure, you can tell when a new writer takes over."

"Well, yeah, a writer can't completely suppress their own style." Calista told him, as she looked at the books with Ace.

"What's so strange about that? Everyone has their nuances. Verbiage, phrasing, it's like they're-" Ace explained.

"Literary fingerprints, yeah," Jughead nodded with his sister's boyfriend. "And when I went back to read the first book, its fingerprint is unlike any of the rest of them. It's raw. It's real. The characters have tension. There's political commentary woven throughout it. They mention the war, the boys have summer jobs, and none of the rest of them are this grounded."

"Meaning?" Betty asked her boyfriend, not understanding where he was going with this.

"Well, allegedly, Mr. DuPont wrote the first five books before passing the series off." Jughead explained to them.

"That doesn't make any sense." Calista eyebrows furrowed. "I've read them just about as much as you. Unless he had a huge style switch, there's no way he wrote the first one."

"Exactly. After my analysis, the stylistic differences from book one to book two are two distinct to ignore."

"Okay, well, who wrote it then?" Betty asked.

"This is gonna sound crazy, okay? What if it was our grandfather?" Jughead suggested with hessitention in his voice.

"Dude, your conspiracy theories are usually spot on, but this one feels like a real stretch." Ace told him, while Calista just looked like she was consumed with her thoughts.

"I know. This is the one missing puzzle piece I have of my grandfather. Think about it, guys. He sent me a first edition, first Baxter Brothers book. And if that's not coincidental enough, he wrote inside." he pulled the book open "'Never let them take anything from you.' Does that not imply that something was stolen from him?" Jughead asked them.

"Implies, yes. Proves... no. You need proof, Jug." Betty told him.

"I'm with Betty on this one, Jughead," Calista admitted. "It may be a different writer, but there's not enough solid evidence that it was our grandfather."

"Yeah, you're right," he sighed. "I'll get proof. I know I'm onto something. I know it. Meanwhile," he took Betty's hand in his, "how's the mystery of our suspicious brother going?"

"I'm following a hunch too." Betty told him.

" Betty told him