Chapter 39: Prom night

The next morning the Jones siblings and Ace were having breakfast

Calista was sitting next to Jellybean, while Jughead was pouring her a cup of juice.

"How are you feeling?" Jughead asked her, as he placed the cup in from of his little sister.

"You mean, considering that mom abandoned me?" Jellybean asked, a note of sadness in her voice.

"Don't think it like that JB." Ace told the young girl softly.

"She didn't abandon you." Jughead sighed like he had had this conversation before "Actually, mom leaving town was probably the most selfless thing she's ever done."

"I've never lived anywhere without her." Jellybean stated sadly.

"Well I'm glad you decided to stay." Calista told her with a smile.

"Me too." Jughead grinned at their little sister "Just no more playing G&G, okay?"

"Why is everyone so freaked out about it?" Jellybean asked them "It's just pretend quests and costumes."

"Who was in costume?" Calista asked her, as she took a sip from her coffee.

"Well, Ricky had those ears and I had a crown." Jellybean started "And the Gargoyle King, of course."

At the mention of the Gargoyle King, Calista chocked on her coffee, as she started coughing, making Ace rub her back.

"Wait, you met the Gargoyle King?" Jughead questioned, turning back toward his little sister. "Like, in person? What happened?"

"He gave me and Ricky a quest." Jellybean shrugged.

"You talked to him?" Jughead asked "What did he say?"

"Said that I couldn't enter the Kingdom." Jellybean answered "Not until I have the Gospel. That was our next quest."

"'The Gospel'." Jughead mused, as he leaned against the table looking at his sisters and Ace.

"What's the Gospel?" Calista questioned further.

"I don't know." Jellybean shook her head "We never found it. But Ricky said that the Gospel is where the Gargoyle King keeps all his secrets."

Jughead nodded his head and looked at his twin sister and Ace.

Both of them nodded their heads at him.

They needed to find the Gospel.