Chapter 67: Kahimanawari (kahit man lang kung maari)

Start from the beginning

"What were you listening to earlier?" Moh-wa plugs the earbud into her right ear, eyes on Kai.

"Queen," Kai answers briefly, placing the other one into his left ear before hitting play.

I'm just a poor boy nobody loves me

He's just a poor boy, from a poor family

Spare him his life from this monstrosity

"Oh," Moh-wa blinks, "Bohemian Rhapsody," she mutters.

Kai hums, "Thought I'd might take a trip down the 1980s, I love how experimental they are with this one."

"They make good music," Moh-wa sighs, "I don't exactly like some of the music coming out these days."

"Except Taylor Swift."

"Except Taylor Swift," Moh-wa echoes, eyes on Kai.

Kai raises his hands to show his surrender, the stayed silent for a few more moments before Kai breaks it.

"What does Kahimanawari mean?" he asked, eyes on the moon. "I don't remember a Japanese word like that."

"That's because it's not Japanese," Moh-wa says, subconciously they meet each others gazes. "It's actually an old Tagalog word from the Philippines, according to the articles the founder thought it would be a great idea in honoring his Filipino roots combined with his Korean ones."

"Woah," Hyuka blinks, "What does it mean then?"

"Well in old-Tagalog it means kahit man lang kung maari, which translates to 'One hopes to happen' or 'Hoping to happen'," Moh-wa tears her gaze from him and back to the moon.

"It's more like a plea then," Kai says, eyes staying on her.

He finds the way Moh-wa spoke tagalog was so fluent and poetic, the said language had a rather poetic side when spoken in softness - and Kai always had a thing for poetry.

"Well it is used where you most desire something to be true but the situation does not allow it." she then meets his gaze, "So yeah, it is more like a plea- or a wish, wanting something you want to happen despite it not to be."

"It sounds sad," Kai says, eyes on the sea. "Poetic but sad."

Moh-wa nods, eyes trailing down to the sand, fingers tracing circles. They stayed silent for another few minutes before Kai spoke again.

"What do you want to happen in your life Hwa? Aside from collecting gossips and journalism?"

"Nothing," she simply answers.

Kai snaps hus gaze back to her, "Nothing?" he echoes, "Nothing as in nothing?"

"Don't repeat it, sounds stupid."

The brown haired boy scoffed, "Well that's not right, you don't want something in your life? Or in your lovelife?"

"Well if it helps I wanna experience the feeling of someone liking me," Moh-wa utters tugging her legs closer, she can't believe she'd actually talk about this. "I know its weird and all, but all my friends have like-people confessing to them here and there and I kind of want -to like- experience that too."

"So you wanna be liked? But lots of people like you," Kai says and Moh-wa shakes her head.

"What? No, I know people like me. I'm talking about someone liking me as someone more than a friend or a classmate."

Kai blinks and tilts his head, "Like a crush?"

The young lady shifts a bit, "I guess? I dunno know I feel awful when I think about it. But I can't help it, every guy I ever liked sees me as a friend and my brother would say that love will come eventually." she then stretches to ease a few of her limbs.