81 The Golden Era

-  Japan, Heian Era  -

"Your name?" L/n asked boredly.

The old man took a moment to observe the "woman". She would have been older than he, however she still looked and acted young and youthful. The shrine was an immensely fancy one, covered in riches, and decorated in anything that would glitter in the sunlight. She wore pretty clothing, and lay lounged out on cushions.

"Oiiii, sorcerer, you alive?"

"I have no name."

"But your title is the strongest, right? Or maybe the disgraced one?" She smiled knowingly, tilting her head. "Though you haven't lived up to those names the past few months. Are you sickly? Or maybe just tired?"

"I wish to become a cursed spirit." He declared. "And you will help me do so."

"Ohhh, I will? Why be a cursed spirit? You wish to torcher your fellow sorcerers for ages to come?"

"My reasoning is none of your concern."

She wrinkled her nose. "I do not like old men."

"I do not like being one."

She paused, "I hadn't thought of that..."

"Obviously."

"How would I help you?" L/n sat up, leaning forward.

"If I die naturally I will without a doubt be able to become a cursed spirit. The issue is the possibility of sorcerers finding me in that moment."

"You wish for me to look over you as you die? How romantic. Or morbid?" She rested her jaw in the palm of her hand. "But let us be honest. I could just as easily kill you in that moment."

"A binding vow can resolve all issues."

"A what?"

"You really are ignorant." He huffed. "It is an agreement abiding by rules we both set and agree to, and must benefit us both. The penalty for breaking it on either side is grave."

"Then, why would I help you?"

"Like I said, the vow can benefit us both. You must have something you want from me."

"Why choose me?"

"You remember your past life do you not?"

"Because you killed me? Does that give us a connection?"

"So you know, and yet you harbor no resentment toward me." He grinned. "How un-curse like."

"I am not only a curse, but a spirit." She stood, walking toward the man. "I can act any way I like."

"Do we have a deal?"

"How long do you have left?"

"A couple days at most."

"I do not know what I want from you. Until then, you may house yourself here. Unless there is somewhere special you would like to die?"