43 Tame

The next mission was in the countryside. Farms, trackers, the lot of it. You preferred the city much more, especially as a car drove by and a cloud of dust surrounded you. "Fucking bastard." This was only a grade three curse, but because it originated from farmland, and that land stretched for miles, it was difficult for other sorcerers to track down and catch.

There looked to be an abandoned farmhouse to the left, the roof hopefully sturdy enough to hold your weight. You camped out there for a few hours, criss cross with your palm pressed against your cheek.

How do you tame a curse?

Alerted by rustling in the grass a little ways away, you peered over the edge. A curse the size of a large dog crawled out, carefully and quietly. It was likely wary considering your strong cursed energy. It held the appearance of a wolf and a sheep. Paws, snout, ears, and tail like a wolf but its body was wooly, along with a puff of wool on its ankles.

Lets find out.

Throughout the night you tried many ways to get the curse to submit. And finally...

"Suppose you need a name now huh? You took like a Ralph to me." Crouching down, you scratched behind its ears. It had no reaction, but you found yourself petting it anyways. "You're only alive because you're one of the few not disgusting looking curses. Be happy about that at least." Standing, the curse moved to your side. "I'm exhausted."

You showed at the school a week later, a bloody scratch running down the length of your arm. Passing Nanami on the steps he looked at the curse by your side and asked, "What happened?"

You shrugged, "Something. You know where Shoko is?"

"She traveled to heal someone. I don't know when she will be back." He shook his head.

You sighed, head lulling to the side. "Yaga?"

"In his office. I can wrap it up, if you'd like." He offered.

"Thanks, Nanami."

Sitting at his desk, you rested your cheek on your fist, arm held out while Nanami disinfected and wrapped it. "Sorry for leaving you alone in class all the time. You saw my second spat with Miska so...I don't really want to be around her."

"I understand."

He seemed to be able to tell you had something else to say, because he spoke again, "You can ask." He confirmed, stepping back as he finished with the bandaging.

"I was just wondering...if you're going to keep being a shaman."

"No."

You were slightly surprised, looking up at him with wide eyes.

"Once I graduate, I'll likely find an office job."

"Oh...I wish you luck then."

After getting permission from Yaga to keep Ralph and his cursed energy being allowed into the area, you sat with him on a rooftop. "I'll let you meet Kune, but you have to be nice or else I'll kill you. Don't eat her or something. Actually, I should just let Yaga keep her."

I leave all the time anyways. She probably likes him more by now.

"I've been missing you in class again."

You hugged Ralphs head that sat in your lap, looking out of the corner of your eye to find Miska. "Im a special grade. There isn't much point."

The woman sighed, kneeling in front of you. Her eyes traced over the content curse. "I'm sorry about the situation with your mom and Miki. I had no right to step in or snap like that."