~𝚃𝚑𝚒𝚛𝚝𝚢 𝚜𝚎𝚟𝚎𝚗~

~ you can't trust nobody these days

~ you can't trust nobody these days. Not even your fucking doctor to keep her mouth shut. I thought we had a mutual understanding that I wanted to tell them on my own

"Mercy, how could you?"

"What are you talking about? What do you mean how could I? I- fuck, sure I messed up but why are you upset?"

She's my mother, how could she not be happy for me? Why was she looking at me like I'd just committed the worst possible crime. She'd started crying but we were the only two who knew what this conversation was about

Genesis tried calming her down but I don't understand why she's so upset. We haven even talked about this properly yet- I don't get it.

"What's going on?" Gen asked me

"Mom, why are you crying. I'm happy, I don't understand." I say reaching across the table to grab her hand

She only pulls away from me and I saw this look of hurt flash her eyes. I was also hurt "you're happy to be destroying your life?"

"What do you mean? I'm not-"

"You're pregnant, what do you mean your not!"

The table went quiet. This is not how I expected this conversation to go. "Is that true Mercy?"

"...yes." I tell Genesis. She gives me a small smile and I know she wanted to tell me all good things but my mother wasn't to happy about this and she couldn't go against what her wife wanted

"Momma, I'm sorry."

"I just don't understand how you could do this. After everything I thought we had an agreement that you'd wait until you were ready."

"I am ready."

"You live with your mother and you're still in high school how is that at all ready Mercy!"

"And who's fault is that?! I've been asking you for the last two weeks to let me go! Going back to school was your decision not mine!"

"Because I want what's best for you!"

"Why can't you see that I am happy?!" I asked her my voice giving away my oncoming tears

She shook her head no "you think you're happy. That's how your disease works, you'll be happy for a moment and then you'll crash because you can't handle that pressure of real fucking life Mercy! You're barely an adult, you are so blinded by love that you can't see that this isn't good for you right now!"

"Elijah is good for me. I don't do all those things when I'm with him, I'm happy when I'm with him."

"You're becoming to dependent on a man August. Elijah has enough problems of his own! You two, parents?" She scoffed "please get real, this kid is going to need something stable and when you are going to crash I'm going to have to pick up the pieces! I'm going to have to raise that baby, not you!"