75. Shame and Honor

''It fills me with unrelenting shame.' Lyonel remarked.

''So that's what this is about then? Your shame.'' Harwin countered

''Our shame, Harwin!'' Lyonel shouted back. ''Shame on the whole of House Strong.'

''Because I laid my hands on that insufferable Cole, the son of a steward?'' Harwin countered

''He is a Knight of the Kingsguard now, a defender of the crown.'' Lyonel corrected through an exasperated breath.

''He assailed Prince Jacaerys, the future heir to the throne.'' they were both shouting to no avail, Harwin was going to protect his sons.

''You have laid us open to accusations of an uglier treachery.'' Lyonel spat

''And what treachery is that?'' Harwin countered annoyed.

''Don't play the fool with me, boy. Your intimacy with the Princess Rhaenyra is an offense that would mean exile and death... for you, for her, for the children!'' Lyonel reminded him sternly.

''It is rumor only... spun by the Princess's rivals'' Harwin hissed.

''People have eyes, boy. Yet His Grace the King, it seems, will not accept what his eyes see. This flimsy shield alone stands between you and the headsman." Lyonel told him ''The willful blindness of a father towards his child.''

''I wish my father affected a similar blindness.'' Harwin hissed

''Have I not these many years? And yet today, you publicly assaulted a Knight of the Kingsguard in the, in the defense of your...''

''You have your honor and I have mine.'' Harwin told him solemnly.

+

''To ease the pain, Princess.'' Laenor and Qarl could be heard singing loudly and very drunkenly.

''Thank you.'' Rhaenyra said softly as she sat down with annoyance.

''You'll feel better in a day or two, when the milk dries up.'' their singing grew louder but the door swung open and they silenced before bursting out laughing

''My dear wife.'' Laenor said with a chuckle. "Princess Davina."

''Princesses.'' Qarl said softly as he let go of Laenor

''Oh... I fell down.'' Laenor lied smugly.

''Where have you been?'' Rhaenyra questioned stiffly as Davina rolled her eyes.

''Out with Qarl. Didn't I mention it?" Laenor chuckled. "Oh are you in much pain?" Laenor remarked noticing her hand on her breast her pinched face. ''The milk... swells the breasts...'' Laenor said grabbing at his own breasts.

"Get the fuck out Quail." Davina spat.

"Qarl." Laenor corrected but Davina's gaze was harsh.

''Of course, Princess.' Laenor sighed as Qarl left the door closing behind him.

"I will let you two talk..." Davina murmured kissing Rhaenyra's head.

''War... is afoot again in the Stepstones, Rhaenyra. The Triarchy takes new life from its alliance with Dorne. They're waylaying ships and cargo. Qarl's been fighting there. He showed me a...'' Laenor began with a chuckle ''He showed me a sack of sapphires big as walnuts he took from the pirate he slew. Ahh... after all this time, this is just what I need, a little adventure. A good, honest battle to enliven my blood again. He says there is a Tyroshi general there, a giant, they say, who dyes his beard purple and wears women's frocks.'' Laenor laughed out but Rhaenyra was not amused.