13. Never yours

You want to see Davina's failed marriages right?

'Before we begin, Your Grace, I have a report I feel compelled to share. Last night... Prince Daemon bought out one of the pleasure houses on the Street of Silk... to entertain officers of the City Watch and other friends of his.' Otto informed Viserys.

'He toasted Prince Baelon. To the King's son.' Otto went on 'Styling him... "The Heir for a Day." Viserys face pinched as he heard of his brothers declarations. 'I corroborated this report with three separate witnesses.' He went on. 'they said the evening was, by all accounts a... celebration.' He added and Viserys got more and more furious by the second.

+

'What the fuck did you do?" Davina hissed as they were summoned to the throne room.

'nothing sister dearest.' Daemon assured kissing her head.

'well being summoned makes me nervous.' Davina told him. 'I was trying to be nice and supportive of our brother and you did something stupid. didn't you!' she shouted.

'I did nothing.' Daemon assured but Davina didn't believe it for a second. The throne room doors were pushed open and Viserys sat on his throne staring down at them.

'Yeah looks like nothing.' Davina hissed.

'You cut the image of the conqueror, brother.' Daemon said as he approached the iron throne. Viserys sat staring down at him.

'Hey Vis... what did he do? Can I go? I don't like when you are in king mood.' Davina told him.

'Did you say it?' Viserys demanded.

'Say what?" Davina questioned looking to Daemon.

'I don't know what you mean.' Daemon told him casually.

'You will address me as Your Grace, or I will have my Kings guard cut out your tongue.' Viserys warned and Daemon's lips pursed as Davina smacked him over the head. "The Heir for a Day." He clarified 'Did you say it?' Davina looked to daemon confused. She waited silently this was not about her.

'We must all mourn in our own way, Your Grace.' Daemon said solemnly.

'My family has just been destroyed. But instead of being by my side, or Rhaenyra's,' Viserys shouted down at him. 'Davina was a good sister and aunt and checked in on us both, but you. You, Daemon chose to celebrate your own rise! Laughing with your whοres and your lickspittles! You have no allies at court but me! I have only ever defended you! Yet everything I've given you, you've thrown back in my face.' Viserys reminded him.

'You've only ever tried to send me away. To the Vale, to the City Watch, anywhere but by your side. Ten years you've been king, and yet not once have you asked me to be your Hand!' Daemon countered.

'Why would I do that?' Viserys questioned incredulously.

'Because I'm your brother. And the blood of the dragon runs thick.' Daemon reminded him.

'Gods Daemon.' Davina muttered.

'Then why do you cut me so deeply?' Viserys countered.

'I've only ever spoken the truth. I see Otto Hightower for what he is.' Daemon told him defensively.

'An unwavering and loyal Hand?' Viserys suggested

'A cսոt. A second son who stands to inherit nothing he doesn't seize for himself.' Daemon corrected Davina tipped her head back and forth in contemplation, she didn't trust Otto.

'Otto Hightower is a more honorable man than you could ever be.' Viserys reminded him.

'He doesn't protect you. I would.' Daemon assured

'From what?' Viserys spat.

'Yourself. You're weak... Viserys. And that council of leeches knows it. They all prey on you for their own ends.' Daemon told him honestly.

'Daemon you are already in trouble, stop yelling.' Davina hissed.

'I have decided to name a new heir.' Viserys told him.

'I'm your heir.' Daemon told him bitterly.

'Not anymore.' Viserys said sternly as he rose from the iron throne.

'You got a bastard roaming around?" Davina teased but her smile dropped as he approached them.

'You are to return to Runestone and your lady wife at once, and you are to do so without quarrel by order of your King.'

"What of me?" Davina questioned.

'I want you here until your kindness runs out.' Viserys told her and she looked back at Daemon. She didn't like the look in Daemon's eyes. He had the iron throne in his mind for years, he knew it would be his but Viserys was going to break that dream by claiming someone else an heir.

'Who are you naming your heir?" Daemon questioned. 'Davina?"

'I would make a shit queen.' Davina told him. 'I'm not responsible enough for that kind of responsibility.'

'I know you are not.' Viserys told her. 'Neither of you will ever hold a seat on the iron throne.'