17. Used to be Fun

'The Valyrian capital was built into a volcano, much like Dragonstone. And the dragonlords, the highest of the nobility, lived here, at the volcanic face, closest to the source of their magic and power. And this was the Anogrion. Where the bloodmages worked their craft." Viserys told Alicent.

'It is truly wondrous what you've built.' Alicent remarked.

'Oh no. I only pore over the histories and provide the plans. The stonemasons built the structures.' Viserys corrected.

"Do you believe that Westeros can be another Valyria, Your Grace?" Alicent pondered.

" That depends, whether you speak of the Freehold at its height or at its fall. Over a thousand dragons, a navy large enough to span the seas of the world. The glory of Old Valyria will never be seen again." Viserys remarked but his cup slipped through his fingers crashing to the ground. 'Seven Hells.' He muttered. He sucked in a deep breath looking to Alicent. 'Tell me, how is Rhaenyra?'

'What do you mean?'

'Well, these days, she doesn't say more than a few words to me. I think she might find it difficult... to discuss personal matters.' Viserys told her. Alicent had visited him often, which he found he enjoyed.

'It will take time. It did when I lost mine own mother.' Alicent informed him.

"I wish she would approach me." Viserys told Alicent softly.

"What if you went to her?" Alicent offered.

"There are times when I would rather face the Black Dread himself than mine own daughter of 15." Viserys informed her bleakly. Alicent chuckled.

"I think she would open herself to you if invited. You do have such an easy way about you, Your Grace." Alicent remarked.

"Um..." Viserys took a step away from Alicent. 'you do not mention our talks to Rhaenyra, do you?' Viserys questioned and Alicent stared at him a moment longer confused. 'I just... I fear that she wouldn't understand them.'

'No, Your Grace.' Alicent assured.

+

'It's only been half a year since my mother died, and already they tried to marry my father off and replace me as heir. I know those men and how they plot in their secret councils when I've been sent away.' Rhaenyra muttered.

"You cannot worry at the matters of lords and kings, Rhaenyra." Alicent reminded her, hesitantly she kept going. "What if your father were to remarry?" Rhaenyra stared at her disgusted by the thought. 'Your father loves you. He chose you for his heir."

"He didn't choose me. He spurns Daemon." Rhaenyra corrected.

"Kneel with me. I find this is a way to be with my mother. Here in the quiet of the Sept... I feel close to her. I know it sounds foolish." Alicent remarked.

"I don't think it's foolish." Rhaenyra told her and Alicent looked at her in disbelief. "I don't." she confirmed.

"Good... because I thought you might try. I... If not for me, then, perhaps for them." and Rhaenyra let out a long sigh as Davina dropped down next to them.

'What are you doing?" Davina questioned.

'Praying.' Alicent told her.

"Pft,' Davina sniggered. 'Want to go for a ride? Dae is well being Daemon and its more fun to race.' Davina told Rhaenyra.

'We are praying,' Alicent repeated.

'I think what you meant to say was Princess you look stunning today, yes take Rhaenyra because the Gods do not talk back.' Davina sassed.

"What do I say?" Rhaenyra pondered and Davina groaned getting up.

'You used to be fun!" Davina declared walking away.

"Whatever you wish. It's only for you and the gods to know." Alicent reminded her.

"I want him to see me as more than his little girl." Rhaenyra admitted.

"Mine own father does not know the language of girls either." Alicent informed her making Rhaenyra chuckle.

'When I wish to talk with him... I know that I must make the effort."