38. Daemon

'Make haste to Dwarfstone, Ser Addam.' Viserys instructed 'Hand-deliver this to Prince Daemon yourself.'

'At once, Your Grace.' He agreed

'Dwarfstone?' Rhaenyra questioned

'I'm sending word to Daemon. Aid is sailing to the Stepstones.'

'Did he make call for help?'

'He would sooner die. But his king does not mean to allow that.' Viserys told his daughter as she took a seat. 'Do you not think my decision correct?'

'It is no consequence to what I think... as I'm often reminded.' Rhaenyra told him calmly.

'Daemon is thorn enough in my flesh. Will you insist on taking after him? Must everything be a battle?'

'If you refer to your attempt to marry me off to Casterly Rock.' Rhaenyra told him stubbornly

'I am sorry, Rhaenyra. I was trying to help you. Will you not be helped? Why must every effort on your behalf be resisted as if to the death?' Viserys asked

'Because you mean to replace me... with Alicent Hightower's son, the boy you always wanted. You have him in hands now. Y-You have no further use for me.' Rhaenyra told him sadly. 'You might as well peddle me for what you can. A mountain stronghold or a fleet of ships.'

'You have misjudged me, Rhaenyra.'

'We all know it. Jason Lannister knows it. You said it yourself, the lords of the realm gather like vultures to a carcass, hoping to feast on my bones.' Rhaenyra told him 'Aunt Davina is the only one that cares about me. that wants me on the throne.' Rhaenyra told him. 'She doesn't want me forced into a marriage with someone that it just looking for a tie to our name and my claim.'

'It is true that as rulers we must marry for advantage to forge alliances and bolster our strength. You have always understood this.' Viserys reminded her 'I myself was promised to your mother when I was...'

'ten-and-seven years of age. The Vale had an army to rival the North. I've heard that story since I've had ears to.' Rhaenyra reminded him

'I loved her. She made a man of me. I do not seek to replace you, child. You've been much alone these last few years. Alone and angry.' Viserys agreed 'I will not live forever. I wish to see you contented, happy even.'

'You think a man will do it?'

'A family.' He corrected

'I had a family.' Rhaenyra reminded him

'What would you have me do?!'

'If it was for advantage, you would've wed Laena Velaryon!' Rhaenyra shouted back

'That is true enough. You must marry, strengthen your own claim, shore up your succession, multiply. As to your match... make it yourself.' Viserys told her 'Search him out. Find one that pleases you, as I did.'

Viserys offered looking down at her. 'Rhaenyra... I did waver at one time. But I swear to you now, on your mother's memory, you will not be supplanted.'

'Thank you father.'

'Have you seen your aunt?"

+

'We have 16, perhaps 18, seaworthy ships. Seven hundred foot, some 60 knights. Our food quickly dwindles, save for what we can fish from the sea.' Corlys remarked 'I would say we have a fortnight, mayhaps a bit longer with strict rationing. I've made call for Driftmark to send more ships, but they will be weeks away. We are faltering and the Triarchy knows it. We must press the attack, continue sending the dragons.'