54. Crucible

''Did sleep flee you as well this morning?'' Rhaenyra offered as they had set sail for home.

''I needed to see you, Princess.'' Criston remarked approaching her slowly, a plan, a mission on his mind.

''I confess I had a similar desire.'' Rhaenyra admitted.

''You have confided in me now and then over the years of our acquaintance. I feel, forgive me, that I, I know you... a bit.'' Criston remarked.

''You know more than a bit.'' Rhaenyra agreed, she glanced back at him, he knew her very well and she craved him.

''I've heard you say so many times how you loathe the lot of your position, that you are to be married off at your father's whim with no thought given to the yearning of your own heart, and... now the day comes. Ser Laenor is a good and, and decent man, but you, you did not choose him. He was chosen for you.'' Criston remarked.

''That's true.'' Rhaenyra agreed

''If there were another path... one that led to freedom... would you tread it?'' Criston offered and Rhaenyra stared back at him. ''Rhaenyra, before I came here, I was a knight in the Storm lands. I have deep knowledge of the port at Sun spear where I've seen the ships of Essos setting sail with their hulls full of oranges and cinnamon and I've always wished to see where they went.''

''Are you asking for leave?'' Rhaenyra questioned confused, she didn't want him to leave, she was to be married she wanted him here with her.

''I'm asking you to come with me... away from all of this. From the burdens and indignities of your inheritance. Let us leave it all behind and see the world together... where we'll be nameless, and free... free to go where we like, to love as we like. In Essos... you could marry me. A marriage for love, not for the crown.'' Criston reasoned. Just as Davina had said, an adventure with a man she could love, Rhaenyra wondered if Daemon came swooping back in if Davina would think about herself for once, if she would chose a life of love over responsibilities.

''I am the crown, Ser Criston. Or I will be. I may chafe at my duties, but do you think I would choose infamy in exchange for a bushel of oranges or a ship to Asshai? It is my duty to marry a nobleman from a great house and Ser Laenor will make a fine husband. But my, um... my marriage... does not have to be the end. Ser Criston, Laenor and I have an understanding. I've granted him leave to pursue his own interests... and in turn, he's granted me the same.'' Rhaenyra offered hopefully.

''So you want me to be your whοre?'' Criston spat.

''I want us to continue as we began, with you as my sworn protector, my white knight.' Rhaenyra corrected

''I took an oath. As a, as a knight of, of your Kings guard. An oath of chastity. I've broken it.'' Criston said in desperation.

''I won't tell anyone..." Rhaenyra assured she wanted to continue their little affair, more now than ever.

''I-I've, I've soiled my, my, wh... my white cloak. And it's the only thing I have to my fսcking name!" Criston reminded her.

''I, I thought if we were married, I might be able to restore it. The Iron Throne looms larger than me, larger than anyone in my family. Aegon the Conqueror united the Seven Kingdoms and put them on a path... Ser Criston.''

+

"You look like shit Vis." Davina remarked as they rode.

"Thank you Davina." He said through a labored breath.

"Viserys whats really wrong? Why wont you tell me? Why are you keeping me in the dark?" Davina demanded.
"I'm –''

'Don't you fucking dare say fine." Davina hissed. "it is clear you are not."

"Davina-''

"You are my brother and I care about you.'' Davina pleaded. "Don't push me away."

"There is just a lot on my mind." Viserys told her and Davina groaned. "We are home, I will feel better in my own bed." Viserys assured. With a labored breath Viserys stepped out of the carriage only to collapse to the ground.

"Fucking hell." Davina muttered falling before him. "MELLOS!" she shouted.

''Fetch the Maester!'' Harrold shouted.

''Get back.'' Lyonel demanded.

''Get Mellos! Get back!'' Harrold demanded.

"What the fuck is going on with him!" Davina demanded as Mellos came up.

'Prepare the crucible. We'll need leeches.'' Mellos remarked. Alicent watched as her husband fell to the ground, hoping for death.

"What the fuck is a crucible going to do?" Davina spat. "What's wrong with him!"