31. Prize

I would like to thank mik4elsons for creating the beautiful new cover you see today for Fire and Blood! It is gorgeous and I am honored that she took the time to create this. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

+

' Is that what I am to you? A prize to proffer about to the great houses?' Rhaenyra questioned her father bitterly. Davina crossed her arms in agreement. Viserys wasn't ruining Rhaenyra's life like he tried to do to Davina. Rhaenyra was the heir, she couldn't be married off to just anyone, certainly not cunt Lannister's.

"You're of age, Rhaenyra. And Jason Lannister is an excellent match.'

'Lannister.' Davina repeated. 'Lannister, those cunts. What is excellent about them?'

"He's arrogant and self-serious.' Rhaenyra corrected

'Well, I thought you might have that in common.' Viserys countered as the continued their little match of whisper shouting in the middle of the festivities. Davina however was not quiet in her distaste of the Lannsiter's any Lannister.

'Since you came of age, I've been slowly drowning in a lake of parchment flung from every corner of the realm. Marriage proposals, all. And I have tried often to discuss it with you, but you've refused me at every turn.' Viserys reminded her trying to keep Davina's glare from intimidating him.

'That is because I do not wish to get married.'

'Even I do not exist above tradition and duty, Rhaenyra!" Viserys shouted back, Rhaenyra opened her mouth to object but a knight spoke up silencing them.

'Excuse me, Your Grace.'

'You must marry.' Viserys told her. 'Yes?' Viserys turned his attention to the knight.

'The royal huntsman have sent a report, Your Grace. There's been a sighting of a white hart. The stag is The King of the Kings wood, Your Grace. A regal portent for Prince Aegon's name day.' He remarked.

'Come on.' Davina urged. 'lets go for a ride.' She suggested as they headed out. They marched right past Cole he saw their urgency and ran after them.

'Princess, wait!' Criston Cole shouted chasing after them as they jumped on horses. 'Princess, slow down!' he jumped on a horse following her out. Davina smiled brightly as Cole chased after them.

"I think he is trying to catch us.' Davina remarked.

'I think so.' Rhaenyra agreed.

''Hyah, hyah, hyah! Princess! No!' Cole shouted slowing her down. 'Whoa, whoa, now!' the horses neighed and kicked up as they got to the lake. Davina couldn't stop laughing at Cole's petrified face. 'What happened back there?' he looked between them.

'My father... trying to sell me off to Jason Lannister.' Rhaenyra told him miserably. 'Was... was I named heir to the Iron Throne so that I might only further raise the standing of a Lord of Casterly Rock?'

'Do you want me to kill him?' Cole offered and Rhaenyra chuckled debating it.

'I would like that honor.' Davina told her.

'We should return to camp, Princesses.' Cole questioned

'It's a beautiful day. We should take in the Kings wood.' Rhaenyra countered as the birds chirped in the distance. They walked their horses along the trail as they talked, rhaenyras misery fading

'You did burn a Lannister didn't you?' Cole recalled.

"Lannister, Baratheon, Greyjoy and Seaworth.' Davina told him. 'the fifth and final drowned.'

'Who was the fifth?' Cole questioned.

'Another fucking Lannister.' Davina remarked. 'those shit heads are relentless and now they are trying to contaminate my Rhaenyra with his awful blonde hair and lion encrusted everything.' Rhaenyra chuckled.

'Two Lannisters?' Cole questioned.

'Ceira De Lannister's nephew was the first.' Davina recalled making Rhaenyra laugh even more.

'Ceria De Lannister?" Cole questioned sensing a joke.

'There is this story Davina used to read to me when my father went on hunts.' Rhaenyra explained.

'About a bitch that killed puppies.' Davina told him. 'Cruella De Vil.' Rhaenyra did some added sound effects for dramatic effect. "Thank you, thank you.' Davina said sweetly.

'And the second Lannister?" Cole questioned.

'Jason's eldest and most idiotic brother.' Davina told him, he wasnt exactly terrible but he wasn't good either. "I mean he lived on Lannister port and he couldn't fucking swim.' Davina declared. 'that one wasn't really my fault if you think about it.'

'No, never your fault.' Rhaenyra agreed smugly.

"I sense sarcasm and it is not appreciated against me little miss.' Davina told.

'What? Me sarcastic... Never.' Rhaenyra mused.

Cole liked the Princesses they were not what he expected once alone and away from the chaos of dresses and crowns and feasts. They were just normal girls, making fun of the nobles, it was refreshing to see that not all nobles were awful.

'Were you ever betrothed, Ser Criston?' Rhaenyra questioned.

'I had an adventurous youth when my father served at Blackhaven, to be sure. But my station was never high enough for a formal betrothal. Before I spoke my vows as a knight of the Kings guard, I could've married a common-born girl had I wished.' Cole remarked

'How lucky you are to have a say in your own life.'

'Many in the realm would gladly trade positions with you, Princess.'

'Ha, not if they knew.' Davina muttered

'Only because none of them has ever held my position. I may be the Princess of Dragons tone, but I am toothless.' Rhaenyra informed him

'One day... not so long ago, you held enough power to write my name into the White Book. And when your father named me to his Kings guard, it was the highest honor any Cole have ever known. All that I have, I owe to you.' Cole told her honestly. 'Now I'd hardly call that toothless, Princess.'

'I told you he was a keeper.' Davina reminded her.