52. Driftmark

Viserys thought he might hack up a lung at this rate. He leaned on Davina as they waited.

''I'm sorry." Viserys said wiping at his lip.

"You don't look very kingly, you look like you need a nap." Davina whispered. ''After my fourth wedding do you remember when I told you that I would burn kings landing to the ground?'

''I do recall Davina.' Viserys said stiffly.

''I didn't fulfill that threat remember when I told you that if you ever forced marriage upon Rhaenyra-''

''I do recall.'' he agreed

''Yet here you are you think you get three strikes? you don't.'' Davina warned

''Its alright auntie.'' rhaenyra told her.

''Its not.'' Davina told her.

''I understand''. Rhaenyra told her.

''Well then perhaps you are brighter than I or more foolish. because marriage should be for love not war.'' Davina hissed.

"Preventing wars." Viserys corrected.

''Come, cousin. Let us discover what might be had for breakfast.'' Laena offered kindly to Rhaenyra leading her away. Viserys coughed again and again, a thick breath in his lungs.

"Sit down," Davina requested. "You are going to fall and I wont be able to catch you." Davina remarked.

''Your Grace.'' Corlys remarked as he approached but Viserys kept coughing.

''Rise, Lord Corlys.'' Viserys said in between coughing fits.

''Be welcome. May I offer you a chair?'' Corlys questioned as the door opened yet again and Rhaenys came in.

''Cousin!'' she declared

''Princess.'' Viserys said kindly but he cringed in pain as she hugged him.

''Are you well?'' Rhaenys asked skeptically.

''Very.'' Viserys assured.

"Yes, well as can be I don't know how you survive out here, all this rain and water, dragons don't thrive in the wet." Davina remarked. "Perhaps you are not a real dragon, Cousin." Viserys pinched Davina's hip she offered them a tight smile.

''I congratulate you, Lord Lyonel. I can think of no man more suited to be the Hand of the King.'' Corlys said kindly but there was still a thick tension in the air.

''That is very kind of you to say, Lord Corlys.'' Lyonel replied. ''His Grace has honored me with the post.''

''Pity about Ser Otto." Corlys added.

"Pity we ever dealt with otto, more like it." Davina countered.

''Despite spending most of my days amidst the grandeur of the Red Keep, the halls of High Tide never fail to impress.'' Viserys remarked changing topic.

'You flatter me, Your Grace.'' Corlys told him, forcing a smile. 'Though I do wish we could meet under happier pretenses.''

''How so?''

'Daemon's wife, the Lady Rhea Royce, has passed''. Corlys informed them. Davina's eyes went wide. She felt Viserys digging his nails into her to keep from smiling.

''A hunting mishap. She was thrown from her horse. Her neck and skull both crushed in the fall.' Rhaenys added

"Such a shame." Davina said biting at her lip. He finally did it.