22. Fragile

Death by a Thousand Cuts // Margaery Tyrell // Cersei Lannister

"You announced that we were to be wed? On the morrow. And that I was with child. Your child." Mysaria exclaimed

"Well,' Daemon stared back at her, he had really fucked things up with Davina. So he offered his whore something irresistible. Him. "Perhaps when we are wed, we can make that true." Daemon pondered but Myseria was not pleased.

"I ensured long ago that I would never be threatened by childbirth."

"Good." Daemon agreed. "Children can be such irritating creatures."

"You swore to protect me, Daemon." Mysaria reminded him.

"Dragonstone is quite secure." Daemon told her except when Davina comes making threats and the kings guard come but no one was hurt Daemon thought as he continued to smile.

"Until the King decides to reclaim his ancestral seat." Mysaria countered, her blood boiling. "His men might not put the Prince's head on a spike, but what would they do with the common whοre he claims he's taken to wife and made with child?"

'No one will harm you.' Daemon said nonchalantly.

"I have been sold as property more times than I care to count, beginning in a homeland I can no longer recall. Most of my years have been spent living in terror." Mysaria told him.

"You're safe with me, I swear it.' Daemon didn't see why she was so worried he was the prince.

"You are Targaryen. You can afford to play your stupid games with the King, but I cannot. I didn't come into your service wanting gold or power or station. I came to you to be liberated." Mysaria reminded him.

"Liberated. From what?" Daemon questioned.

"Fear."

+

"No, please, Lord Lyonel. I have come looking for an unencumbered opinion." Viserys remarked leaning over the table with urgency.

"That's all I would ever give, Your Grace." Lyonel assured.

"Ever since my name was read by the archmaesters at the Great Council, I have felt Corlys Velaryon's envious gaze staring at me from across the Blackwater."

"You sit upon the highest seat in the realm, Your Grace. Proud men don't like having to look up."Lyonel remarked.

"Laena Velaryon."

"Lord Corlys is your Master of Ships and she is the eldest daughter of the wealthiest house in the realm. She comes from unimpeachable Velaryon stock and she has Targaryen blood." Lyonel told him. "What's to mislike?"

"She is 12."

"She will mature. "

"I never asked to remarry."

" As King, you have a claim on all things. Even those you don't want. Marriage is not an obligation you can put off for long."

"What if I was to reject Lord Corlys's proposal?" Viserys suggested

"He would not be like to take it well. I fear nothing short of a direct line to the Iron Throne would satisfy him. You should also consider that we find ourselves on the precipice of war in the Stepstones. And the Sea Snake holds claim to nearly half the realm's ships." Lyonel told him.

"He would not dare withhold them in the face of the realm's need. Who is he to hector me?" Viserys countered

"No one, Your Grace. But Driftmark makes for a better ally than it does an enemy. The Sea Snake has made a calculated reach, a fair play for a man of his position. If you truly want my unencumbered opinion..." Lyonel questioned.