The Prophet Chuck

Start from the beginning

"Then what is it, Sam? 'Cause we're at a total loss." I asked him as Dean grabs his bag and heads for the door, I go and grab mine and follow him. Dean stops and looks back. "Are you coming or not?" he asked. "No." Sam said and Dean and I turn back to the door, pause, then drop our bags forcefully on a chair by the door before Dean leaves. I sigh then follow him out.

Dean heads to a soda machine and drops coins into it, and I could tell he was fuming. I frown and walk up to him. "Hey..." I said to him, softly, and I placed my left arm around his shoulder. "How can he be so stupid?!" He asked me, angrily. "I don't know, Dean. I wish I knew myself." I said.

“I mean really! How can he hear a Prophet giving him his fortune and decide to let it happen?!” Dean asked, steam practically coming out of his ears as he continues getting more and more enraged. 

I open my mouth to try and say something but Dean continues ranting. “Why did we fight so hard to prevent every vision you two had from coming true? Why are we trying to stop these seals being broken? Why do we even TRY!” Dean shouted, pulling away me to punch the soda machine and cracking the glass.

“Dean please, calm down.” I pleaded. “Why?! I have every damn right to be upset!” Dean growled. “I know you do and I’m upset too. Right now, I want nothing more than to go back into that room and give Sam a piece of my mind. But clearly arguing isn’t gonna do anything and neither will breaking your hand.” I said.

Dean let’s out an irritated huff and turns away. “And to be honest, you’re starting to scare me a little.” I admitted. Dean turns back to look at me, his harden expression had finally softening. “I’m sorry it's just…” He tried to say, he sighs and shakes his head. “I don’t wanna lose him. I can’t…I can’t lose either of you.” He said, tearfully, voice breaking.

My heart broke at the sound of his voice and I step over to him, taking his hand to hold it. Dean looks down at our hands and squeeze mine, while I rub little circles on the back of his palm. “I know. I can’t either. We’ll find a way to stop this.” I said.

Dean continued staring down at our hands for a moment. “How?” He asked, raising his head to look at me. “I don’t know. But we’ll figure it out. We always do.” I said, giving him a little reassuring smile. Dean eyes moved away from mine, looking thoughtful. “…I might have an idea.” He muttered, returning his gaze onto me. 

He leans in and gives me kiss. When he pulls away, he rested his forehead against mine. “Thank you.” He whispered. I smile, giving his hand a little squeeze. “Anytime.” I said.

He sighs and closes his eyes before he speaks. "Well, I feel stupid doing this. But...I am fresh out of options. So please. I need some help. I'm praying, okay? Come on. Please." he begs and I run my thumb over the back of his hand again.

"Prayer is a sign of faith. This is a good thing, Dean." Castiel's voice said and we pull back from each other and see Castiel standing next to us. "So does that mean you'll help us?" I asked him. "I'm not sure what I can do." he said. "Drag Sam out of here, now. Before Lilith shows up." Dean said, firmly. "It's a prophecy. I can't interfere." Castiel said and I could see the anger growing on Dean's face again as he walks up to Castiel.

"You have tested me and thrown me every which way. And I have never asked for anything. Not a damn thing. But now I'm asking. I need your help. Please." he begs. "What you're asking, it's...not within my power to do." Castiel said, plainly. "Why? 'Cause it's divine prophecy?" Dean asked him. "Yes." Castiel replied and I run a hand over my face.

"So, what – We're just supposed to sit around and, and wait for it to happen?" I asked Castiel, who gives me a look of sympathy. "I'm sorry." He said. "Screw you. You and your mission. Your God. If you don't help us now, then when the time comes and you need me...don't bother knocking." Dean growls and he grabs my hand and we brush past Castiel and begin to walk away.

"Dean. (Y/n)." Castiel called out. "What?!" Dean yelled as we stop and turn to him. "You must understand why I can't intercede. Prophets are very special. They're protected." Castiel said. "I get that." Dean said. "If anything threatens a prophet, anything at all, an archangel will appear to destroy that threat. Archangels are fierce. They're absolute. They're heaven's most terrifying weapon." Castiel informs and my eyes widen, getting at what he's doing.

"And these archangels, they're tied to prophets?" I asked him. "Yes." He replied and Dean and I share a look. "So if a prophet was in the same room as a demon –" Dean said, thinking, as he looks back at Castiel. "Then the most fearsome wrath of heaven would rain down on that demon. Just so you understand...why I can't help." Castiel said and I smile at him. "Thanks, Cas." Dean said and Castiel nods. "Good luck." He said and Dean and I head to the Impala and make our way to Chuck's house.

We enter Chuck's place, seeing him sprawled out on his couch, and approach him. This time he actually does seem surprised to see us. "What are you two doing here? I didn't write this." Chuck said as Dean begins to manhandle him. "Come on. We need you to come with us." Dean said. "What? Where?" Chuck asked. "To the motel where Sam is." I replied.

"That's where Lilith is." Chuck said, fearfully. "Yeah, exactly. We need you to stop her." Dean said. "Are you insane? Lilith? I know what she's capable of, guys. I wrote her." Chuck said and I roll my eyes. "All right, listen to me. You have an archangel tethered to you, okay? All you got to do is show up and boom! Lilith gets smoked." I said and Chuck looks between us.

"But I-I haven't seen that yet. Th-the story –" he stammers. "Chuck, you're the only shot that we've got left." Dean said. "But...I'm just a writer." Chuck said, upset. "This isn't a story anymore, man. This is real! And you're in it!" I yelled at him. "Now, we need you to get off your ass and fight. Come on, Chuck." Dean tells him but Chuck shakes his head. "No friggin' way." He said. 

"Okay, well, then, how about this – I've got a gun in my pocket, and if you don't come with us, I'll blow your brains out." Dean threatens. "I thought you said I was protected by an archangel." Chuck said, questioning. "Well, interesting exercise. Let's see who the quicker draw is." Dean said and Chuck looks between us and, eventually, he decides to come with us.

We make it to the motel and go to our room door and the three of us burst in. "I am the prophet Chuck!" Chuck shouts as we see Sam and Lilith standing there. She looks over at us, a bit unimpressed.

"You've got to be joking." She said and she leaves Sam and approaches Chuck. "Oh, this is no joke." Dean said just as the room begins to tremble, and a great white light pours in through the windows. "You see, Chuck here's got an archangel on his shoulder. You've got about 10 seconds before this room is full of wrath and you're a piece of charcoal. You sure you want to tangle with that?" Dean asked her.

Lilith gives Sam one last look then she leaves through her vessel's mouth and the light and the shaking of the building stopped.

After taking Chuck home and helping the woman Lilith possessed, the boys and I drive out of town. The rear window still busted and still clumsily covered in a tarp flapping in the wind.

"So a deal, huh?" Dean asked Sam after he told us what Lilith really wanted. "That's what she said." Sam said. "To call the whole thing off – angels, seals, Lucifer rising, the whole nine?" I asked, not really buying it. "That was the gist of it." Sam said and Dean hums at this.

"What?" Sam asked. "You didn't think once about taking it?" Dean asked him. "You kidding me? Dude, you and (y/n) spent all day trying to talk me off the Lilith track." Sam said. "I'm just saying..." Dean started to say but Sam talks over him. "She would have found some way to weasel out of it. And all it would have cost us was our lives." He said.

"Yeah, I guess you're right." Dean mutters. "Anyway, that's not the point." Sam said. "What's the point?" I asked him. "The point is, she's scared. I could see it. Lilith is running." He replied. "Running from what?" Dean asked. "Don't know. But she was telling the truth about one thing." Sam said.

"What's that?" Dean and I asked. "She's not gonna survive the apocalypse. I'll make sure of that." Sam said, in a serious determined voice.