A Race For A Heart

Chapter Seventy-Seven

Tyler backs away from him, spinning around he walks over to the cars. He stops shoulder to shoulder with Nicole.

A brief glance of both of their eyes, Nicole holds out his keys.

"Don't show off, Tyler."

"Yes, mam." A smirk pulling as he takes his keys from her. "See you at the finish line,"

Nicole smiles, she rolls her eyes to look ahead. Tyler just chuckles and makes his way over to his friends that stood by the car.

Nicole took the chance to walk over, Eric he stops his talk with one of the guys who took his bets for the race.

A glance back, he double takes.

"Nicole."

Attempting a smile, she folds her arms. "Hey,"

"So. You ran back home huh?" Eric jokes.

Nicole smile drops. "Er-"

He stops her with holding up a hand. "You don't have to explain anything to me."

"No, I should." Nicole tells him. "Sometimes people do owe an explanation. Despite how others think."

"You never owed me anything." Eric shakes his head. "I'm just happy to see you're okay."

"So you were never mad?"

"Very much pissed, yes." Eric nods, Nicole looks down. "But did I understand it from your eyes." He nods again. "Took some time, but I did and I'm sorry."

"Don't apologize to me." Nicole brows pulled.

"No I owe you one to." Eric admits. "I knew the life you had before this and I did try to force you to change it all, just to fit mine. Didn't help with the friends I had around you."

Nicole steps up to him, getting his sight. "Hey," Eric's gaze flicker to see those once dull brown eyes filled with a certain glow behind them now. "Nobody makes me do anything that I don't want to. Apart of me wanted that to. Then another side of me....didn't. I know you want to believe that somewhere along the line it would have been different but I don't think so."

"You can honestly say that?"

Nicole's smile was faint. "I know one thing about myself Eric. My mind is always made up but my heart conflicts with that. Of course I wanted to stay with you and think somewhere I could adapt like I did before, like with Owen, and everything after that, but then I had to remember...." her eyes flicker. "trying to adapt means that I'm not as happy as I think I am. Adapting is me trying to go against what I really feel. Things should flow easy. The two of us did just that, but our lives," Nicole head shakes. "they never did."