🔒 My Muse || Chapter Eighty One

"That song... It's only to be heard by dead children, right?"

Isabella's Lullaby. What she sang to the children she brought to their death. The tune she sang to her unborn son. Ray glared at me, as if warning me not to do something brash. "I lived. So will you." I glanced behind me, Zack's chest making the slightest rising movements. For you, Zack. For you, Ray. Emma, Norman. Everything I do, I do for you.

"Partners in crime?" I winked, Ray giving me a slight scoff. "Always." He stepped towards me, taking my hand. We glared at the demon together, running towards it. Our foot steps echoed through the street, familiar faces starting to peek out from broken windows, behind walls and from rooftops. I caught a glimpse of Sandy's dark green hair laying dormant in the center of the plaza. "We're going to kill it." I said, giving the black haired boy a smile. He grinned, pulling out a heavy rifle. "I know." He parted from our path, jumping gracefully onto a tall pile of rubble. He shot the giggling Leuvis' mask, blowing off his hat. To our surprise, the first layer of his mask crumbled, shards of dust and rock falling to the floor. "Now this, this is a fight!" It cackled, ripping off it's mask. One tiny, beady black eye was in the center of it's disgustingly warped face. He opened his mouth, waves of razor sharp teeth churning in circles. I cringed, repulsed. It amused itself, dealing with Ray's heavy barrage of bullets, a group of people forming behind me. Nigel, Gillian, Paula, Emma, Yuugo, Oliver and Violet. A man with crimson hair was kneeled behind Zack, bringing a bottle to his lips. "Lucas!" I shouted. He laid Zack down, patting his head. Another tall blond boy was with him. It was Adam, still mumbling Norman's numbers.

He gave me a confident thumbs up, before his golden eyes were drained of color. Yuugo was in equal shock. "Y-You..." They both stuttered, stumbling towards each other. Before they could say any words, I pointed at the black demon urgently. "Reunions later. Demon killing now."

"y/n, catch!" Oliver smiled, throwing me a grenade. It bounced in my hands, Emma elbowing him harshly. He apologized, laughing.

I pulled the clip, Emma screaming. "y/n?" They asked, as I stepped forward, hurling the bomb in Leuvis' face. It worked before. Maybe it'll work on Leuvis.

It screeched loudly. "Don't stop shooting!" I shouted, pulling out my rifle. We all separated, shooting the thing from every angle possible. It started to randomly swipe, trying to kill anyone it could find. "This is cheap, y/n." It said, annoyance in his voice. Oliver pulled another grenade off his belt, throwing it onto it's back. It shouted again, receiving bullets from every angle. Oliver was swept away by the explosion, Emma stumbling back. It's relentless slashing finally hit someone. Ray grunted, falling backwards. I hissed, wanting to help him. But we had to kill Leuvis first. After what felt like hours of persistent gunfire, the demon stumbled, falling to it's knees. I held my hand up, everyone stopping their firing.

"Goodbye, Leuvis." The demon laughed, glaring at me with it's one eye. "Indeed, goodbye." I pulled out my pistol, pressing it to the black eyeball. I clicked the trigger, Ray jumping in front of me. "W-What?" His body was pressed strangely against mine, like something was sticking us together. "Y-You idiot..." His voice was strained, a drop of blood running down his lips. A silver nail pierced the left side of his stomach, digging into me as well.

I coughed, wiping my chin. Red... Blood..? The claw pulled out, as I collapsed on top of Ray. Breathing suddenly became difficult, like there was a hole in my lungs. "Ray..." I whispered, touching his cheek. "That song... Is for dead children, y/n." He patted my head, closing his eyes. I wish I could keep mine open, but I fell onto his chest, collapsing as well.

People were screaming our names, hands grabbing me, pulling me upwards.

Ray, you stupid idiot. Why did you help me? Why did you save me?

Is it okay to think that you love me? That you always did? I would like to tell you that I loved you too... So please, dummy, don't die.