📷 My Muse || Chapter Eight

"y/n!" Ray waved at me from across the yard.

I blushed. Ever since that day, whenever I see Ray my heart skips a beat. It must be because I'm embarrassed around him, right? Because... I sat on his lap... Because... His face was so close to mine... "Ah!" I shooed away those unholy thoughts and waved back at him.

"What's wrong with her?" I heard Norman whisper behind me. Emma giggled. "I think she made up with Ray." Any words they said about me were drowned out by Ray's smile. He had never smiled like that before. "I want to see him more..." Ack!?- No! I meant his smile! I don't want to see him, well I mean I do, but... I glanced at his stationary body. He had fallen asleep under the tree. Another book was in his hand.

"I want to see him."

—————

"Hey, y/n. Can I sit with you?"

My conversation with Emma was interrupted by a familiar voice and hand, patting me on the head. "Of course! Go ahead Ray!" Emma giggled, not waiting for my response. Ray smiled. "Thanks Emma." His elbow brushed against mine as he sat down. That alone was enough to make me turn pink. Emma wheezed, noticing my blush.

"So... Ray..." She started. "If Emma was an animal she'd be a dog getting ready for a treat." I thought, imagining a vigorously wagging tail on her behind. I chuckled to myself. "Do you... maybe... have a crush on our sweet little y/n?"

"Pfht-" Ray nearly choked on his drink. "What did you say, Emma? I didn't hear you." He quickly regained his composure, wiping his mouth with his sleeve. I heard Mama sigh from another table. "Do you like y/n?" She asked again. She was practically strangling me. Her body was on top of my head, trying to get the closest look at Ray possible. 

"Of course I like y/n." He replied nonchalantly. 

"I like you too, Emma. And Norman, Connie, Don, Gilda, Phil. I like everyone." He took a stoic sip from his cup. 

Emma's hand twitched in disbelief. "I- That's not... What I meant..." "Oh? So what did you mean?" He asked, unfazed. The ends of his lips were twisted upwards. "Oh, Ray..." I thought to myself. "N-never mind." Emma drooped off my shoulders and went back to eating. 

I laughed at Emma's lifeless body, trying to hold in the suffocating tightness of my chest.

Why does it hurt so much?