📷 My Muse || Chapter Thirty Seven

The night of January 13th. Ray would be shipped out the next day. 

I walked to the dining room, following someone's hums. I held the crutches to my side, in case anyone was awake. 

Ray was sitting in Norman's chair, a large cardboard box at his side. 

He continued to sing that soft, eerie song. 

"What are you doing up so late?" I asked, slowly walking inside. This was the last time I'd see this room. Where we shared so many memories. 

The boy smiled. "I haven't seen you in months." He laughed. "Even though we live in the same house."

"It's hard to climb up that damn in ladder in these," I chuckled, shaking my crutches. Ray had spent almost every hour of every day hiding in that secret room. We hadn't spoken since that day he told us to give up. 

"You put up that sad face every time Isabella comes around," He said, flicking open a lighter. The small orange flame was the only light source in the dark room. It was still the dead of night, about two in the morning. "It's really convincing." His chair screeched as he turned it around to face me. "But you haven't given up, have you? y/n?" 

"Perceptive as always, Ray." 

"And how about your leg? Is it okay?" 

I grinned, throwing aside my crutches. My leg was still bandaged up, but fine for use. I stomped it roughly on the floor. 

He sighed, relieved. "That's good." He slowly stood up and bent over the cardboard box, pulling a rectangular metal cannister out. He untwisted the cap, a pungent chemical odor wafting from his hands. My eyes widened. He walked around the room, sloshing the nauseating black liquid in ever corner. He opened another one, continuing his work. 

When he finally spoke, his voice was bitter and guttural, almost growling his words. "Truth be told, I wasn't as naturally smart as Norman, or athletic like Emma, or perceptive as you. I had to learn those things. On my first test I scored poorly. I dedicated myself to reading. writing, geometry and algebra." He lifted his right hand, holding the final bottle of gasoline. "I had to turn myself into the ultimate product!" The liquid fell over his head, dampening his hair, dripping down his face and drenching his clothes. His eyes widened in a deranged manner, teeth grit like a carnivorous beast. 

"Isn't it wonderful to be human? y/n?" He asked me, reaching his hand out. "I get to choose how I live! How I die! I am not cattle to be sold!" He took a match out his pocket, lighting it up. "There's no way Mom would let a top scorer burn to death here. You have to run, okay?" His voice started to crack. "You, Don, Gilda and Emma. You all have to live. Remember me." 

His fingers let go of the match, and suddenly the world seemed to move in slow motion. My quivering body, lunged towards the light, clasping it in my hands. His mouth gaped open. 

"Nice catch." I said to myself. 

Ray scowled at me. "What the hell are you doing? You have to go!" He pulled me up, that sweet chemical aroma left in handprints on my shirt. I smiled at him confidently. "Ray. We have to go." 

"W-What are you-" He trembled. I pulled out the knife Norman had left me. 

I brushed his bangs aside, lightly tugging his left ear. "This is going to hurt, but try to stay still." 

He grit his teeth harshly, feeling the cold sting of a knife next to his face. I cut it off clean, handing him a gauze to hold over the wound. Ray's fricking ear was in the palm of my hand. I lightly dabbed the cut with an alcohol soaked cloth. "Shit, shit, shit-" He cursed to himself, tightly holding the wound. "Guys! We're ready!" I called, and Anna, Lannion and Thoma came scurrying into the room. Thoma handed Ray a clean shirt, throwing the gasoline drenched one onto the floor. In Lannion's arms were cuts of meat from the kitchen. Anna held her beautiful long blond braids in her hands. 

"W-What?" Ray was at a loss for words as we quickly and silently set those random items into the shirt. I placed his ear over the stack of meats. "Give me the lighter." I said, holding out my hand. I flicked it open, throwing it onto the small mixture. 

"Go, now!" I yelled, hurrying the four out of the front door. "You know where to wait!" 

Ray's eyes were still widened in disbelief as Thoma and Lannion grabbed both of his arms, pulling him into the forest. "y-y/n..." He stuttered, gaze still glued to the house. "She'll be okay." Anna replied, speeding up. 

I turned around, walking back into the house. I stood at the doorway, watching the flame grow. The smell of burning meat started to waft in the room and I figured it was time. I fell to floor, screaming as loud as I could. "Ray! Ray! No! Please, help! Anyone, help!" Within the minute, Isabella came running downstairs, her eyes searching everywhere. She ran to my side. 

"y/n, what's wrong? What's happening?" 

In between my fake tears, I pointed into the fire. "R-Ray, Ray set himself o-on fi-fire!" I cried, screaming another wail. She opened the silver pocket watch, hissing. She grabbed the fire extinguisher and ran into the room. "Get everyone outside, y/n!" I sobbed an "okay" and ran to the kitchen. I took a deep breath, tying my hair into a ponytail. My reflection was warped on the faucet's dull metal. I held the blade to my left ear, holding my breath.

"Here I go."