📷 My Muse || Chapter Thirty Nine

I thought she wanted to kill us. To capture us. 

But Isabella was more afraid for our well beings than we were. 

In her own way, she was still trapped, imprisoned in her own fear of being a cattle child. 

"Emma, y/n." She said, gasping for air. Her usual graceful presence was rusty and smeared. Her nightgown was ripped at the ends, from her own scaling of the wall. Strands of hair flew from her bun. "I- I can make you both Mothers! I can make sure that both of you live l-long, happy lives!" 

"It doesn't matter how long our lives are." Emma's eyes were ablaze in the black sky. She looked like a fire. "If we live like you, we'd live in the past. We wouldn't be growing up at all." Emma pulled out a small faded blue pocketbook. Isabella's eyes widened at the sight of it. She fell to her knees, grasping her head. "If you wanted to live for Leslie, you should have lived free. Instead, you became to prisoner to your memories." 

Emma shoved the book back inside her sweater, adjusting her hangar. "Goodbye, mom." The line zipped underneath her, Gilda and Don breaking her fall. 

Isabella pulled on her hair tie, letting her black hair flow freely in the wind. Her eyes were shining underneath the stars, tears falling from her face. She glanced at the landing, smiling at Ray. "I can't convince you, can I?" She scoffed warmly. I nodded. "Then, take care of him, okay?" I gripped my hangar tightly. "Always."

She whispered it softly. I almost couldn't hear it. "You look just like your mother."

Isabella knew my mom? 

The other two lines were cut, the white cords, floating like streamers in the wind. 

"y/n!" Ray called my name. 

I looked at the chasm below. Freedom, here I come. I took a big leap down, the cold dusk wind feeling like tiny stabs on my face. Wind flowed underneath my sweater, smoothly gliding around my leggings. Ray laughed as I jumped into his chest, hurling us both to ground. Don quickly cut the line as the other children stared at Isabella. She smiled and waved goodbye. 

"Let's go." Emma said, as we all ran silently into the forest. 

The trees were hunched together in strange ways, like some weird twisted maze. We started to climb a low slope upwards, light breaking from in between some leaves. I pulled away the vines as we watched our first sunrise in freedom. We all sat happily, on the tip of a mountain, admiring the orange sky. The world underneath was filled with strange, new things, trees of incredible sizes, plants we've never seen before littering the jungle's floor. 

Emma and Don's eyes shined with curiosity. 

Gilda's was filled with tears.

Ray grabbed my hand, turning to everyone. 

"Norman would be so proud of all of you."