🔒 My Muse || Chapter Seventy Eight

"Enough games, little ones. Where's y/n?" I watched the black top hat of a demon peek over the village's small buildings. I looked at my hands, covered in bruises, blood and calluses from my training. The galaxy shade of the necklace had changed into a bright burning red, orange and yellow specks in the ruby stone. It was beautiful, like a fire. But I didn't have time to admire it. I ran towards Leuvis' figure in the deserted streets of Goldy Pond. Broken guns, cannons and heavy machine guns were scattered all over the floor, half destroyed buildings and potholes making the once bustling city a war zone. The demon before me was barely scratched, his clothing tattered but his mask and body showed no sign of any difficult battle.

"y/n... Calling y/n... W-Where- a-ah you? Are you-you K-Kay? Ok-Okay?" I pulled the broken earpiece from my pocket, about to click the mic on when he addressed me. "There you are." Leuvis said, turning to me. I could sense some twisted grin underneath his layered ivory mask. Was he thinking about ways to cook me? Emma? Everyone else? The thought alone made me want to hurl. "Hi, Leuvis." I smiled as patiently as I could, throwing the earpiece away. I heard Zack's panicked voice scream for a sign I was alive. For all they knew, Bayon had already eaten me, or maybe I had blown myself up in the process of killing him. I'm sorry everyone. But I have to do this alone. To protect you. "You wanted to hunt, right?" He chuckled, entertaining my conversation. "That's what this place is for. The hunt. But few prey other than you has ever had those eyes." He raised his arms dramatically, excitement in his hungry voice. "Your eyes were the color of a fire, sweet y/n. I wanted to kill you myself. A real hunt. Nothing like the silly, weak cowards living in this place." "A real hunt? You've never had one before? How pathetic." I tried my best to provoke him, gauge his demeanor and anger. I still didn't know how strong this demon was. It didn't matter though. He laughed my comment off, replying. "Once, four years ago, I met a group of children. I particularly remember two boys. One with crimson red hair and golden eyes. The other, glowing like the sun but with features the color of the night. They were fast. Strong. Brave. I ate every single member of their party, except for the red haired one. I admired his spirit. He had that look too, y/n. That fire in his eyes. He looked like a lion." Yuugo? Lucas? Was he talking about them? "Unfortunately, he didn't leave unscathed. I fear he'd died of blood loss, or picked off by Bayon or Nous and Nouma. The black haired one escaped. A shame, really."

"Give me five minutes." I said, glaring at the demon. "Ten minutes to prepare a hunt worthy of your greatness, lord Leuvis." I bowed dramatically, making him laugh. He clicked his tongue, thinking about my offer. "What do you think, Palvus?" He asked, petting the tiny monkey on his shoulder. It shrugged. He chuckled again, nodding. "Ten minutes. Say your goodbyes, premium quality from Grace Field." I grit my teeth, running towards the tower. Everyone should be there. Everyone's going to be okay. The wooden doors seemed heavier than usual as I threw myself inside. Empty. The hallway was empty. No, stupid, of course they're not here. The basement. The god damn basement.

I turned the knob, afraid to see what awaited me.

"y-y/n?"

"Emma..!" I jumped down the stairs, kneeling by her. A brace was wrapped around her right ankle, left arm in a splint. "Y-You're okay!" I cried, tears running down my cheeks. I was so relieved. I looked around me, grimacing at everyone's tired faces. Gillian ran into my arms, sobbing. "Wh-Where were you- y-y/n? I was s-so scared!" I chuckled, patting her head gently. Sandy was laying down, his chest and stomach wrapped in bandages. His eyes widened in fear, looking at my figure up and down. "y-y/n..." I was confused, but smiled regardless. "I'm so glad that you're okay, Sandy." He gulped, pointing at me. His finger was trembling. "A-Are you sure that you are?"

Emma not Gillian noticed the state of my body. When I turned around, a trail of bloody footprints followed my trail. I looked at my blood soaked legs, the crimson liquid pouring from my broken calves. I caught a glimpse of a white shard sticking out from the flesh of my left leg. Bone? I broke my bones? Suddenly, the numbing sensation over my body started to fade, every cut I'd accumulated finally taking its toll. "Hurgh-" A wave of liquid built up in my throat. I stumbled to my knees, coughing up a concerning amount of blood. "Someone get Zack!" Emma shouted, unable to get up. "She's hurt."

"I'll take care of it, Zack is still treating Oliver."

That voice... That plain, yet sarcastic and amused tone. A voice I've heard my entire life. I finally pulled myself up, the heat in my legs unbearable. He rushed to my side, catching me in his chest. This scent... This touch... "It- It can't be..." I trembled, looking at his face. His eyes widened, in equal disbelief. His lips  quivered. I brushed his bangs away, staring at him with both eyes.

"Hi, Ray."