📷 My Muse || Chapter Twenty Seven

I couldn't sleep. 

I just wanted to talk to Ray. I wanted his hugs, his warmth, his smile, and terrible jokes. 

Is it still here? 

I got up from the bed, rusting inside the closet. 

I laughed to myself. It was. 

I slowly pulled out an oversized shirt that didn't belong to me. It belonged to Ray. I unbuttoned my shirt and drew his around my shoulders. This felt... A lot better. His warm smell around me made me feel safe. Like everything would be okay. 

--------------------

We continued playing tag in teams for about a week.

The time came when we had to tell Don and Gilda the truth about Connie. 

"Where the hell are those two?" Ray called from the hallway. It was lunchtime and everyone except Don and Gilda had arrived. "They better not be doing something stupid." He hissed. 

Emma and I opened every room, looking for the two. When they finally showed up, their faces were dark, a shadow cast over them. 

We met up later in the night. "When were you planning to tell us?" Don asked, clenching his fists. His voice was loud and sharp. "When were you planning to tell us that Connie is dead?" 

Emma and I exchanged panicked glances. "W-What are you talking a-about?" She said. The lie we told came crashing down around us. 

Gilda clasped her hands nervously, staring at the table. "We saw it... Connie's bunny.." Her hands started to tremble. "It w-was in Mom's office... The locked door behind the bookshelf..."

"Why the hell were you two there?" Ray yelled, glaring at the two. 

"Ray." I hissed his name, telling him to calm down. He ignored me, continuing to reprimand the two. "What would have happened if you got caught? How would you explain that to her? To us?"

Ray and Don continued to bark at each other, not noticing that Emma had stood up. She slammed her head onto the table, startling everyone. "I'm sorry." She said, voice trembling. She had bowed so deeply and harshly, that she collided with the table. 

"I'm sorry." Followed by a thunk. 

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm sorry." 

When I had finally snapped out of it, I grabbed her shoulders, pulling her away from the table. "Emma, you're going to hurt yourself!" I cried. Tears were already running down her face. A small bruise was on her forehead. 

"Emma..." Gilda quietly said. 

"Why do you think we're so weak?" Don cried. He stood up aggressively, his chair falling to the floor. "Why do you four think you need to protect us? Protect our feelings like that?" 

"It's because we care about you," Norman pleaded, "We didn't want you two to get hurt."

"A-Are we burdens to you? Are we weak?" Don stammered. 

"You're only fifteen. We're protecting our fa-" Ray was sent flying to the ground, Don's fist ramming through his cheek. "Don! Stop!" Gilda cried, grabbing his other arm.

 "Am I still weak, Ray? This fifteen year old can send you to floor." He turned to Norman, breaking away from Gilda's grasp and lunging at him. Norman stumbled backwards after accepting the hit. He turned to Emma and I, frozen in fear. 

"Am I... Just as bad as mom?" His broken gaze fell to his trembling hands. "Am I a monster too?" Tears started to run down his cheeks as he ran to the door. "I-I'm sorry. I'll go cool off." He said, stumbling away. 

Gilda and I ran after him, stopping at the back door. Don had fallen to his knees, face buried in his hands. He cried loudly. 

"It hurts, Gilda. When they told us about the plan, I-I thought they were trusting us. I thought they were relying on us. A-Are we that weak? Can we not be relied on? Why do they h-have to bare that b-burden?" 

My bare feet touched the cold wet grass. I winced slightly at the discomfort. I kneeled behind him, resting my head on his back. "I'm sorry, Don." 

"y-y/n..?" He trembled. 

"You're not weak. Gilda isn't either. W-We really were just trying to protect you. A-After we saw Connie like that..." The image of her lifeless body flashed in my head. "I-I didn't want anyone else to have to see what we did! I-It was too painful for me! I know I'm selfish Don, Gilda, but I just wanted you two to be happy. I-I'm so sorry for lying to you both." 

I felt a pair of shaking arms wrap around my chest. "I-It's okay, y/n. I understand." I started to sniffle, thanking Gilda for her forgiveness. Around this family, around these people. I figured it was okay to cry. I let my tears flow freely. 

"What is this, a hug train?" Ray remarked, coldly. 

Emma and Norman hopped onto the grass, apologizing to Don and Gilda as well. They accepted their apologies and they apologized too, for going off and doing such dangerous things without our notice. 

"Sorry... About your face..." Don spluttered, scratching his head. 

"I deserved it," Norman laughed. "I won't ever lie to you again." 

We all turned around, staring at the boy who hadn't said a single thing other than a sarcastic remark. Ray clicked his tongue, walking up the four of us scattered on the ground. 

"I'm sorry, Don, Gilda." His face was light pink. I broke into a giggle, and everyone laughed at the resident poker face's not so poker face. 

I'm glad things worked out.