Red Like Roses.

China.

After Valkyrie walked away I turned back to the screen. Kiku....he suddenly began to look so fragile and small, like if you held him too tight he would break. Em played with his hair and glanced with an exasperated look at Jae. He was playing with a remote in his hands, but when Em looked at him he shrugged.

"Doesn't work unless he's awake."

"What doesn't work?" America asked wearily.

"Oh...nothing.." Jae fiddled with the remote with a sly smile. He reminded me of an evil serpent, luring you in until it was too late. I couldn't believe that he was Kiku in another dimension.

"Ah well no use just sitting here waiting." Em took a glass and walked off with it, followed by Ai and Ae. Jae smiled before following as well. For a second there was a tense silence between us and the others. But for once Canada was the one to break it.

"Alfred....are you...alright?"

"As much as I can be." He gave a forced smile as he made his way over to where Kiku was. He took Kiku's hand in his and began smoothing back his hair.

"Fretello!" Italy looked up with his usual smile back where it should be, "I missed you!"

"He really did shoot you didn't he?" Romano wiped away tears that were threatening to fall.

"Why are you crying Romano?" Italy asked.

"I'm not crying!" He said with an air of offense, "I just..have something in my eye that's all."

"England? Are...are you doing alright?" Kansas asked. England looked at the screen sadly before shrugging and wiping away tears. Kiku groaned before blinking open his eyes and seeing us.

"Kiku...." I whispered.

"Y-Yao...? W-what...s...going..o-on?" He began to shiver and his grip on America's hand tightened.

"Kiku, I'm sorry I can't be there to protect you!" I cried. He smiled a sad smile and slowly shook his head.

"N-no...I wouldn't...want you to b-be here...t-to see me like....th-this..." He suddenly began to shake more violently and he let out a pained whimper.

"Japan you're going to be alright stay awake please!" America began to undo the straps holding Kiku down. I saw how raw his wrists were from struggling to get away. When he was free America drew back to the group and held Kiku close to his chest, being careful not to hurt him anymore than he was.

"Kiku-" I never got the chance to finish.

The screen went black.

America.

I held Japan close to me, refusing to let him be taken again. After the connection had been cut we'd all been shoved back into the cell. It had been hours since then and the entire time I tried to keep Japan awake.

"I won't let them take you again." I murmured into his shoulder.

"Y-you can't....stop h-her...even if you did....what w-would y-you d-do?" He whispered.

"I'd go instead." At this he stiffened, then cried out and relaxed.

"N-no!" He shook as clutched my shoulder, "I won't...I-I won't..." His voice began to falter as his eyes started to drift shut.

"Japan no! Stay awake please!" I begged, lightly shaking him. He only lightly moaned in response. Then he went silent. I laid him down on the bed, covering him with my jacket. Why does he have to be the one to endure all this? Why alone? How can he still smile even though every time he does the pain gets worse? What did he do to deserve something like this?

Why?

Sorry if this is short, I've just been super duper lazy and procrastinating and because it's almost Thanksgiving here in America I've had to spent lots of time with family. Ugh.

Peace, Love, and Hiding in my room,

Soph.