How Do You Love Someone

September 18th, 2001

Japan

I was the only one in the room at the time. The silence in the room was enough to drive one crazy. I heard a groan and tensed up again, thinking that it was another episode. But her eyes blinked awake, looking a bit unfocused at first. Then she realized I was there and sat bolt upright.

"Natalie, are you okay?" I asked cautiously.

"I'm okay. Are you?" She smiled a little bit before laying back down.

"I'm not sick anymore." I shrugged. Natalie looked at me worriedly.

"Sick? You got sick?"

"Only a slight fever. Nothing much." I lied. In truth I was still very sick with much more than an actual fever. But I wasn't going to let her worry over something as small as THAT. She'd been in the trance, being sick is a minor thing compared to it.

"Don't worry yourself to trance. I'm fine now." There was a little waver in her voice. She really wasn't okay and I knew it.

October 1st, 2001.

Nebraska

I sat at the table with the other states being completely silent. I knew that some of the other states were staring at me, and I felt a little uncomfortable. Now during the weeks after I awoke form the trance America had demanded that Afghanistan had over Osama bin Laden, the man who'd planned out the whole thing. Personally I felt I had a score to settle with the guy, and the whole world knew it. Yet for some reason Afghanistan said no. So now, here we were, in a state meeting discussing what to do. I wanted this to end quickly so I could go back to my house and get out of the public eye. And I knew some of the states were wondering why the heck Japan was standing behind me. Even though most of the injury to my leg had healed, it was still weak and I mostly relied on him to walk.

"We have to go to war. It's unavoidable, inevitable." Pennsylvania pointed out.

"He has a good point. Much as I hate to say it, war is the only option." I nodded, "We must find the people responsible and make them pay."

"Nebraska's right. Thousands of out people were slaughtered! We can't let them think that they can get away with it." New York stood up and started pacing.

"And not to mention two of us got hurt." Wyoming interjected, looking at me and New York.

"It seems we've come to a conclusion, for once." Pennsylvania nodded and stood up, "I call this meeting adjourned. I'll tell Alfred of our decision." I nodded and shakily stood up. Japan took my hand as I leaned against him.

"So you really think that you'll find him?" He asked.

"We have to. You will help us, right?" I looked into his eyes and for the first time I realized that I was about his height.

"I will try my best. No one will get away with hurting you." He smiled slightly and hugged my shoulders.

"Hey you two whatcha talking about?" Kansas ran up next to us.

"Nothing." I said as I blushed.

"Oh sure. Nothing." She winked at Japan and he blushed as well, "Well I'm going to go find some food. Want to come?"

"Why not?" I shrugged, "You don't have to come if you don't want to." I said to Japan. He smiled and shook his head.

"I'm coming with. But I will have to go back to my country in a couple days." He said sadly.

"I can take care of myself. There's nothing that can keep me down!" I pumped my fist up in the air, smiling like an idiot. You wouldn't believe that just a few minutes ago I was in a meeting discussing war.

"And guess what I heard!" Kansas started jumping up and down.

"What?" I asked.

"England's thinking about starting Doctor Who again!! Isn't that just the best thing ever!?" She shouted.

"Awesome." I smirked as we exited the building.

"So....where do you wanna go?" Kansas looked around with a set expression.

"I don't know. Pick a place. As long as it isn't Burger King I'm fine." I sighed. Yeah I don't like Burger King....it's a side thing of being with America a lot. For some odd reason he LOVES Burger King and doesn't really care for Mc. Donald's. Weird right?

"Okay...so is Shwarma okay?" Kansas looked back at us. Japan shrugged and I gave a little thumbs up. We walked a little ways before we heard someone run up behind us.

"Guys wait!" America shouted.

"Hey Al!" Kansas waved.

"Hi." I waved too.

"Konichiwa." Japan also waved. Why were we all waving? Was it like a thing now or just random decision making?

"Sup. Still doing okay, Nat?" America asked me.

"Yep. Still working on walking on my own. As you can probably see." I giggled a bit and Japan smiled. America gave a little laugh.

"Yeah, I can. I hear you guys made a decision..." His voice turned serious and I sighed.

"Well, it appears we're going to war." I unconsciously held my right wrist, looking down at the scar that was both on the front and back of my arm.

"I was guessing that." America sighed and linked his hands behind his head.

"I will help however I can." Japan nodded.

"I need you to take care of Natalie. I don't want her hurt again." America looked at me sadly and I sighed again.

"I will." Japan nodded again.

"Now I have to go meet Pennsylvania and act like I don't already know. I'll see you guys later!" America waved and ran back to the entrance of the building. I smiled and shook my head.

"If anybody needs to take it easy it's him. Honestly." Kansas smiled and shook her head. The entire walk to the restaurant was silent. There was limited conversation as we ate. Two days later Japan went back to his country and I started spending more an more time inside. Sometimes Kansas and I would go and walk around at the mall but most of the time I just stayed home. I started wearing a fingerless glove on my right wrist to cover the scar. I just hated to look at it, it reminded me of too much. So I just though that I that forgetting about it would be the best thing.

In the end it would be that decision that undid everything.