Little Me

The next day America had to go to the world meeting. He didn't want to leave Nebraska alone for fear of southern sympathizers coming and taking her away.

It was too dangerous for the nations to meet in the capital, so they moved it to an undisclosed location for their safety. On the way there Nebraska took in the scenery. There wasn't much to see other than buildings and people, but she still seemed very interested.

"What's your real name?" She asked out of the blue.

"What?"

"Your name isn't just America, you had to have had a name before that." Nebraska stated as if it were obvious.

"My real name is Alfred. Alfred F. Jones." America leaned back in the driver's seat and smiled, "What's yours. Can't just be called Nebraska all your life."

"Natalie."

"Just Natalie?"

"Yeah."

"Hmm. Well then. Ready to go meet the rest of the world?" America looked back at Nat (he decided that's what he'd call her.) as he pulled up to the building.

"I guess so." Nat shrugged. There weren't very many people inside when they got there. Only Japan, China, England, and France.

"America!" China walked up to him and shook his hand, "Who is this?" He crouched down to be eye level with Nat.

"This is Nebraska. She's going to be a state soon. Maybe after this war is over...." America ruffled Nat's hair and she giggled. England's head shot up and looked over at them. For a split second America swore England looked like he was going to cry but then seeing that he was watching him he quickly looked down.

"She looks a lot like you." France noted.

"So I've heard." America shrugged. He led Nat to a chair in the back of the room, "Are you going to be okay back here?"

"Yep." She nodded. She'd brought with her some paper an a pencil to draw with. Throughout the meeting America would look back and see her concentrating on a drawing. Every once in a while he's see England looking back too. He knew Nat reminded England of America when he was little.

When the meeting was over America went back to Nat.

"What did you draw?" He asked.

"A house." Nat held the picture up. It was indeed a house, surrounded by grass and had a person outside it. It was what you'd expect a five year old to draw, "It's what the people in my territory live in."

"It's very nice." England came up behind America, nearly giving him a heart attack.

"Ah! England don't do that!"

"Her name's Nebraska, right?"

"Yeah."

England crouched down next to Nat, who was staring at him with a look of curiosity.

"Hi." He said.

"Hi. Who are you?" Nat tilted her head to the right.

"I'm England." He smiled slightly, "Now you make sure that he doesn't get himself hurt, okay?"

"Okay." Nat giggled. England pulled a pocket watch out of his pocket and handed it to her.

"I have to go. Be careful Al." England briefly hugged America then left. America picked up Nat then left too.

The next few years were more war. Then news came that the Union Army had taken Richmond. Nat officially became a state. And things were pretty okay until World War 2.