Game Of Life

October 25th, 1943

America

I stood on the edge of the ship, glaring off into the distance. On the horizon were some Japanese ships. At the helm there was a figure. I used my binoculars to see the figure closer. At first I thought it was Japan, but as I looked closer I felt my heart sink.

It was Natalie.

She wore a black version of his normal outfit, her hair flowing in the wind. Normally she wears her hair in a tight bun that looks painful. It was like she'd thrown away her entire old life for this one. If I didn't know any better I would've thought she was a different person. Natalie turned and walked along the edge of the ship. Another figure joined her at the helm. I grit my teeth as I recognized Japan. Natalie smiled warmly and I saw Japan do the same. They stood next to each other, talking. I wished I knew what they were talking about. I saw Natalie point off into the distance, at the sun just peeking up on the horizon.

"They're here, what should we do?" Arthur's voice snapped me out of my trance.

"I-I don't know. Take a look at the ship in the front." I handed him the binoculars. He was silent for a little while before he said,

"She looks.....older."

"I know." As much as I hated to admit it, she looked older. Even standing on a ship hundreds of yards away she had a presence that before she didn't have. I realized that she must've picked it up from Japan and I grit my teeth again.

"Don't worry, we'll get her back." Arthur patted my back, then turned and went back into the cabin of the ship. Yao (China) came out and asked to look at the ship.

"I remember the first day I saw her, aru. She was so small, so quiet. And as I watched her grow up she seemed to take in traits from every one of us. And then she met Japan....." Yao frowned as he looked through the binoculars, "It's a lot more than a friendship, aru. I can tell that much from just watching them. Getting her away from him won't be easy."

"I know. It's been almost two years since she ran off. And now that I see her like this......I just don't know how to feel." I leaned on the railing and ran my hands through my hair.

"It'll be okay, aru." Then Yao handed me my binoculars and went back inside. I stayed out there staring at the ships, wondering if attacking them was a good idea.

Nebraska

Japan and I stood at the railing of the ship, watching the sun rise. It was nice, the silence, the sun, and the thrill of the next battle.

"How do you think Germany and Italy are fairing in Europe?" I asked.

"I think they are doing fine." Japan answered flatly.

"Hmm. I know some of the Allies will be here. And you can count America among them. So be on guard." I scanned the horizon. Even in the dark I could see the out line of ships, "Ah. America can't wait to see me can you?" I thought.

"They will most likely try to take you." Japan lightly put his hand on my shoulder.

"I wouldn't expect anything different. I think the Allie's have arrived a little earlier than expected." I pointed off in the distance. To the untrained eye, it would appear that I was pointing at the sun. I knew that America was watching me, probably going crazy over the outfit I'd chosen. Japan glanced over in that direction and nodded. He turned and barked orders in Japanese to get to their stations.

"I will not let them take you. They would have to kill me first." Japan took my hands in his.

"And I will not let them kill you." I smiled slightly and so did he. Then hand-in-hand, we walked below deck.

America

I watched as the ships exchanged fire. But mostly I watched the ship the Natalie and Japan were on. It seemed to be the one our troops were aiming for. Arthur and Yao stood next to me, watching that ship also. I thought of Project Manhattan again. Was this really a good idea? An atomic bomb? What would it even do? How many times would it have to be used? Why was I even doing this in the first place? How did I come up with this idea?

As I mentally bombarded myself with questions I was vaguely aware of movement on the deck of Natalie's ship. She and Japan were running, occasionally Nat would turn around and shoot at the soldiers following her. She had deadly aim. Every shot he fired hit it's mark, even while running. Clearly she'd been training with Germany. Suddenly they were out of deck to run on. They were trapped. I watched as Natalie pulled out more ammo, loaded it into the gun, and began firing at the soldiers. I decided that now was the time to act.

"Let's go. They're cornered." I said as I jumped on a small boat. Arthur and Yao joined me and we sped off. When we reached the ship we used the same route the soldiers had used. Then we walked over to them, they dispersed, leaving Natalie standing in front of Japan pointed a gun at me.

"Stay the hell away from me!" She growled.

"Nebraska this is pointless, your out numbered give up." Arthur pointed his gun at her. Natalie glanced at him but didn't move her gun from me.

"We will never give up!" Japan stood next to her with his katana out and pointed at Arthur, "If you want to take her from me you will have to kill me first!" There was tense silence as they glared at us, daring us to make the first move.

"Nat.....I don't understand, why?" I stepped forward. Natalie stepped forward too. That was the first time I noticed that she and Japan were holding hands.

"You know why. And I told you why the very moment I left. Or weren't you paying attention!?" Her words matched the look in her eyes, defiance, "I told you that if you were going to war with Japan you were going to war with me! And look where we are. At least one of us can keep promises." At the last sentence I saw hurt in those bright blue eyes. It was there for a second, then it was gone, "You guys think your all so smart. Well I'll show a little something I learned back in the Great Depression." Natalie stepped back and hooked her arm with Japan's, "Pergesque ad locum," Arthur's eyes widened, "quem ego voco procul tutum, " A kind of mist began to surround them, "Alius me fero, et nihil aliud."

And then they were gone.