Arc 2 - Chapter 9: To Answer one's Duty

The night pressed on with Altessa steering the Hovercraft back to the Realm of the Ancients. It proved to be a silent night, with Saku looking amongst the water "The ocean...looks different during the night. Just seeing the moon, you're...oval moon that is"

"You're world has a moon too doesn't it?" asked Altessa "Earth is where you're from if I recall what Katsia told me. Tell me...how is your world?"

"You...make it sound like you've been there once before? Which is impossible considering how far away Earth is from here"

"Maybe not me or Mother" said Katsia "But...our ancestors did long ago, at least that's what My Mother told"

"It's up for debate" said Altessa sounding not too sure herself "but it's said that our early ancestors struggled to live on this world, and so sought for another place to live. They scoured many worlds, a pocketful of which made it to your Earth"

Saku now sounded intrigued "Wait...so you're saying that Polaran's visited Earth?"

"They lived there for a fair while" said Altessa "but they couldn't stay for too long. With no disrespect to you, your species Saku was a primitive one. Upon seeing Polaran power...the people worshipped them as gods"

"I...can believe that"

"They merely stayed until they got the supplies to leave...but they found the world to be a beautiful one"

"The Polaran's left a year or so after they landed" said Katsia "But more recently, I say recent it's more a couple of centuries ago, went back to Earth to see how it grown. It was a described as a more cultured place, but where the people were afraid of exploring things beyond ours boundaries"

"So...aliens did visit Earth?" said Saku to himself "go figure"

Altessa saw the land upcoming "That explorer...found something interesting on your world" she said to him "a creature that shared a link with our own, what your species called the Butterfly"

"You refer to Katsia's wings?" said Saku pointing "I've been meaning to ask but, why is Katsia the only one who has wings?"

"She...isn't the only you to have wings Saku, it just she can't hide hers" appearing from Altessa's back folds of line formed until a pair of wings, unlike any seen before, sprouted from Altessa's back making Saku and Emiko marvel.

Her wings looked more closely to inorganic ones, and disconnected, composed of ruby red diamond shapes put in a formation to resemble pointed wings. They seemed translucent and glittered with dust "They're...so pretty" Emiko seemed a bit more woken up by the display "and big"

"They may not look like conventional wings" said Altessa who 'retracted' her wings "but they still function the same as normal"

"Those born with wings, of Polaran descent" said Katsia flapping her own "Are said to be chosen to be granted a contract with one of the divine spirits"

"It's more like...a guarantee. Not that you can forge a contract...but there's a guarantee of a possibility"

"So it's almost like...the wings let you go through the shortcut" said Saku summarizing "But it's up to you to do the rest"

"Not bad...and we're here"

The group had arrived at the White land once more, and after getting off Altessa went to the door once more "Spirits of the land...I ask permission to enter your realm once more. I bring with me my daughter, whose new demeanour should impress you. As per my friend Saku...he has business here, so permit him through" Altessa nodded "everyone...it's time to go" placing their hands on the door everyone vanished inside.