Arc 2 - Chapter 7: Cracks into the Depths

It was the late night of the 1st day upon Polaris, a torrential storm of rain battering the land and seemingly adding to the already seemingly infinite supply of water and sapping the very warmth from the planet. Saku, Emiko and Katsia had retreated back to the castle, mildly damp from having only been caught in the rain.

Resting in the dry warmth of the foyer, a Maid and Varley awaited them "You judged the time of arrival near perfect" he said to them "one more minute and fair to say...you'd have needed to rent a boat to get back home"

"Yeah...when you said it rains here...you weren't kidding" said Saku as he opened the door...to show the rain was more akin to small hammers at the sheer speed and power they fell producing a deafening prolonged crashing sound.

"Still...we can dry on our own" said Emiko "We only got a little wet"

"Now, now...that won't do" said Varley who pointed two fingers, like a pretend gun, and drew them up which caused the moisture from Saku, Emiko, and Katsia to leak away in small rope like strands to form a ball where Varley's fingers were. Varley then threw the ball outside...where it melded with the rain.

Emiko looked at herself "Wow...I'm completely dry, thank you Varley"

"Your compliment is appreciated" he said with a bow "but most of our staff is bestowed with the ability of the water, as its our most common power on Polaris"

"So...a lot of people here are water users?"

"Those who can fight anyway" said Katsia "the rarest kind of fighters here are those who wield fire, but otherwise other Polarans can fight in the way of the fist, sword or spears as well as wind. No earth or Lightning users here"

"Speaking of rare fighters" said Varley who looked around "The Princess tells me Saku...you are endowed with the power of pure Mana, a Z rank user...which I do hope to see the next day"

"How do you mean?" asked Saku

"That's for her Highness to say. Come. It's soon time for dinner and her majesty wishes to see you"

Varley took the group to the throne room where Altessa awaited them before she rose up "Hello everyone...it's good to see you've all returned. How was your day?"

"It was amazing Lady Altessa" said Emiko "It was a lot of fun to explore your world and see all the people"

"Including those...not on the straight and narrow" said Saku remarking to which Altessa made a sigh before getting a jab from Katsia "Ow! Do you mind?"

"Not really" said Katsia scowling

"I was afraid you'd be confronted by the crime of our world. Though it's small compared to most other worlds...we can't seem to quell it, or at least put it under our control"

"How...do you mean that?" asked Saku sensing more to her remark "I mean there's always going to be the occasional bully, thug or pickpocket...what else goes on here?"

"Trafficking of illegal substances"

Altessa stood up and smiled "But that's for another time, I don't wish to spoil your trip with my world's trivialities"

"You never know...I might be inclined to listen" said Saku to which Altessa put on a sort of prideful smile

"It seems my first impression of you was spot-on"

"Which was?"

"I'll tell you...if maybe you agree to a little request" Altessa put her hands together near her chest before Saku grinned