Chapter 72: A Curious Offer

Saku was a little slow to respond to the offer that was presented before him, from the tall girl Reima who stood head, and shoulders, above him...literally "You...want me to...to be...what?" he replied

"I'd like you...to be spirit Partner" said Reima still bowed forward and with eyes closed "Out of everyone I've seen, and to what I've been pointed towards, you are one of the best people to Link with me"

"O-kay. That's...nice? I think" Saku just felt uncomfortable "Look first...just stand up straight. As I said I'm not royalty, so you bowing, it's making me feel awkward"

"Oh...sorry" she said straightening up "I wasn't sure how to speak to you"

"For a start explaining yourself. You can't march up to someone and ask them for a favour. Especially when that someone hasn't much of an idea what precisely the favour is"

"Oh right..." she said looking depressed "You make a point"

"Look I'm not turning you down...just explain yourself a bit more first. That'll usually help"

Reima took a deep breath "There we are. Now to begin but where from?"

"Well...you said you're looking for Saku, or someone like him" said Emiko "Why is it you're looking for him? You could start from there?"

"That could be...a little awkward" she said rubbing her head "For...it's going to sound particularly strange to you. Terra Firma, my home, is a Terran world, if you haven't guessed, and for us duelling is a very common sport. Around ½ of the population, myself included, all love and yearn for the ability to grow stronger"

Reima sounded a little proud "So in basic terms the majority, a large assortment of us, are combat fighters. Though in uncommon circumstances...some of us become candidates to seek out a Catalyst, A Spirit Partner, to enhance our abilities and learn something new"

"A...Catalyst?" asked Emiko a little puzzled

"A Catalyst is something which allows our powers to grow at an incredible pace or some cases augment and evolve. A Catalyst can be anything from a place, to an environment or person. To seek out a Catalyst is a bit daunting...a candidate isn't given much direction, and even when the Catalyst is found...a successful link, a spirit link, isn't always going to happen"

"And you're...one of these candidates?" asked Saku to which Reima nodded

"Here I'll show...though don't get the wrong idea"

Reima pulled up the shirt and jacket of her clothes, to reveal her mid-adrift before turning round "That's...a bit of an odd mark" said Emiko

"It sort of...looks like...a Z" commented Leyla "A really poorly drawn...Z" Reima had a sort of red mark upon her lower back roughly that of a Z. The top stroke was flat, the diagonal one was more of a squiggle with a few bumps while the bottom stroke was a downward crescent shape

"The Z marks...means I'm a candidate" said Reima letting her clothes fall back down

"So...you think I'm your Catalyst?" said Saku

"Yeah I do" she replied with confidence "Or at very least...you're one of the best I can find"

Reima put her hand to her cheek, finger waving "What is it...my Elder told me? My Perfect Catalyst would be warrior of young years...with a head of long grey hair. Four wings adorn the back easily able to cradle all around them. They possess speed of a hurricane, the power of a volcano yet with the grace and purity of a silken breeze. My Catalyst would rain down havoc with the wrath of the heavens...yet be kind to their allies. Though...much like a ghost... he vanishes soon after"