105

Advice Request
This person has a crush on her friend's boyfriend.

Answered Submission
Hey love,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been hurt in the past; getting your heart broken is awful and very emotionally draining. I hope you are doing much better and have become stronger from any past experiences.

So the person you like is already in a relationship, and their girlfriend is one of your friends; that must hurt, and you can’t go breaking girl code. I know you’ll be going through a lot of inner conflict and turmoil since you want to stop liking him but you can’t, and that’s perfectly normal. You can’t help liking someone. It must be very difficult trying to suppress your feelings, but, then, every time you interact, everything just rushes back. In this case, I would advise you to remain as friends.

You can be close friends since you have common interests and talk occasionally. It won’t be the same as a relationship, but you will be getting to know him and spending time with him in some way. However, if this only makes your feelings more intense for him—even though it will be very difficult—try to distract yourself and distance yourself away from him. Spend time with your family and friends, immerse yourself into dance (I’ve heard it helps let out pent up emotions), or put your skates on and spend your free time on the ice playing ice hockey.

Hope this helped,

The Advice Column Team