114

Advice Request
This person is confused about the behavior of a guy they know.

Answered Submission
Hi again. :)

So, by my understanding, this guy you like—or liked—is acting differently around his friends than when it is just the two of you. That’s confusing and quite hard to understand.

I assume he is doing this because either 1) he just puts on that attitude where he acts tough and messes around with you in the public eye, but, when only the two of you are hanging out, he’s normal, 2) or perhaps he likes you and doesn’t want you or others to know it. Either way, he shouldn’t treat you differently in front of other people. Just see how it goes; if he really is playful or poking fun, then I don’t think there’s a reason to worry. However, if he continues to say that you’re annoying or acts too high and mighty, then you might want to confront him about it. When it’s just the two of you, ask him about his change in behavior and why he does it, and tell him to stop.

To make it easier, you can text or call him so that you don’t have to face him. That way, you don't have to face him. He might act clueless, in which, in this case, you should remind him of the truth and let him know you don't deserve what's going on. If he still acts in this way at that point, then just hang out with your other friends. Toxic friendships are no good, and if he is a real friend, he would find some way to talk to you and hopefully stop this behavior.

Best of Luck,

The Advice Column Team