104

Advice Request
This person is questioning their sexual orientation.

Answered Submission
Hello!

Questioning your sexual orientation isn't something easy, and I understand that. I think if you are thinking of coming out, then MAKE SURE THAT YOU ARE IN A SAFE ENVIRONMENT. That is the most important thing. Make sure to just causally bring up your sexuality without coming out to your father and see how he reacts. If he seems chill and nonchalant about it, then perhaps you can tell him. You don't have to straight up be like "Dad, I'm bisexual." You can write him a letter, send him an email, or even text him maybe. But if he gives a negative reaction, wait on telling him. It wouldn't be safe for you to be around him if he knew about your sexuality and wasn't happy about it. As for the rest of your family and friends, try the same thing and just ease into it. Honestly, you don't have to tell anyone straightaway. I mean, it seems as if you are still questioning it yourself, so please take your time on this matter. There's no reason to rush. If you do tell them, just make sure they don't bully you. If they aren't supportive, I would unfriend immediately. It isn't healthy to be around people who don't love you for you.

As for your mother, try and get to know her again. Take baby steps. Don't write her off so quickly because she'll be one to support you. Having a good relationship with BOTH of your parents is crucial. Anyway, I hope I helped. I recommend you watch this video for more information. Good luck, love! Hopefully everything will be alright.

All the best,

The Advice Column Team