171

Advice Request
This person needs help to tell their friends about their depression.

Answered Submission
Hello. Before you think of telling your friends about self harm, you should try to stop it. I know it is easier said than done, but TRY.

When you're suffering from depression, it is not a good idea to tell your friends about it unless they are really, really understanding about it. Speaking from experience, when you talk about your problems (depression in particular), most of them just go, "Oh, you shouldn't be depressed."

My advice for you is to get professional help, if you're feeling you're too deep into it. Listening to people's "opinions" might add to your sadness, if they're constantly being negative. 

Cut yourself some slack, and do yourself a favour. Start loving yourself for who you are. You are your own hero, and, no matter how many times life knocks you down, you only get stronger by getting back up. 

Focus on the things you love, and cut yourself off from the things and people that give you negative vibes. Enjoy the view of the sun setting or of hearing someone's laugh. 

In the end, it's all the little things that bring happiness. 

Stay blessed,

The Advice Column Team