Seventy

Advice Request
This person's sister started to self-harm recently because her friend was raped, step-dad has been diagnosed with cancer, and her final exams are coming up. Their mother is too concerned with their step-father to the point where she hasn't noticed that her daughter is physically harming herself. This person doesn't have a good relationship with their mother, nor do they live with their mother and sister, and, thus, can't find a way to tell their mother.

Answered Submission
This is very concerning and alarming. The only advice I can give is short and precise: Tell your mother and father about the fact that she is self-harming. Your sister's well-being should mean that you should talk to your mother about it even if you don't have a good relationship with her. What is more important: continuing to have a bad relationship with your mother or your sister's well being? Obviously, making sure your sister receives help is more important, so tell her, along with your father, about this terrible situation. If necessary, even tell other adults who can reach out to professionals who can help her, mainly because it may seem like she is experiencing severe stress that is causing her to, unfortunately, hurt herself.

If you love your sister, you will tell others about the fact that she is self-harming and will fight to help her as much as you can! Do whatever it takes to get help AS SOON AS POSSIBLE because things may get worse from this point on.

Also, you said her friend has been raped, correct? This is an evil injustice. Please make sure that her friend reports this rape no matter what! The rapist must face the consequences of committing such a disgusting crime.

Our hearts go out to not only your sister but everyone around you who is suffering, including yourself.

The Advice Column Team