193

Advice Request
The requester is having trouble facing their fears.

Answered Submission
Hi!

So, your friend told you not to go, and you did what they said? That's not the way to go! I understand that public speaking is the worst, but, trust me, you're going to have to face a lot worse things than that in life.

You're also going to need to speak publicly some time or another, such as in school or for a camp your parents make you join, or to an audience that you need to talk to. No matter if you join the club or not, there will always be other parts of your life that make you speak publicly. So, why not join the club and strengthen your skills? I was a major introvert at the beginning of last year, but as I socialized more and exposed myself to my fear, I developed the courage to do so many wonderful things that I would never have thought to do before. I wouldn't trade those things for the world now.

It's really up to you to decide if you want to join the club, not up to your friends. Trust your gut, and do what it says. (Guts are trustworthy, believe me).

As for your embarrassing moment, get over it! This sounds blunt, but it happened, and people have already moved on to the new, hottest gossip. Maybe one person will remember how someone messed up their speech, but they won't remember who it was! Trust me, they've gotten over it already.

Good luck! I believe in you.

Love,
The Advice Column Team