161

Advice Request

This person needs help to stop them from procrastinating.

Answered Submission

Hello, Dear! Kudos to you for realizing and confronting your problem, and extra kudos for coming to us to help you solve it!

So, procrastination. We've all been there. There isn't a person who I know who hasn't gone through it or isn't still battling it. I've even had my own duels with it myself. So here are a few tips that'll hopefully help. One thing to note, however: you have to actually want to change this so badly that you'll do anything to get rid of it. You have to want it more than anything else you've ever wanted in your whole life, because, unfortunately, procrastination is one of those double hazards—quick-setting and hard to break.

1. Create a study schedule. Plan out your day before you get started to know exactly what you have to accomplish today. Then, allot times to do these tasks. What makes it easier is if you get motivated by giving yourself 5-10 minute breaks in between each task or by giving yourself a small piece of candy after each accomplishment. Make sure, however, that you don't deviate from your schedule, and don't make your break longer than the allotted time.

2. Get stayfocusd.com, and learn how to navigate it. For homework, this is essential. It helps so much when you need to write an essay or just get anything done. Nuclear mode is especially helpful. 

3. Enlist the help of a parent or friend. Make sure they are familiar with your day-to-day schedule and can send you reminders via text to get stuff done, or come to you in person. This is especially helpful for those days when you just want to lounge on the sofa or bed and never get up.

4. Make a list—not a list of things you have to do, but a list of the reasons that you are doing all that you do. Cement them in paper, not just in your head, so whenever you start to lose motivation, you can just look it over and reaffirm your motives. This one really helps. Make sure you are being completely honest with yourself, and, trust me, it doesn't matter how pathetic your reasons are. If they are enough to make you do the task at hand, then they are most certainly not pathetic. 

I hope all of this helps, Darling! We all wish you the best of luck in conquering this nasty habit and in all your future endeavors!

With love,

The Advice Column Team