116

Advice Request
This person is being influenced by friends in several bad ways.

Answered Submission
Hello. :)

This seems pretty sad.

My sympathies are with you, but let's just keep everything aside for a moment and acknowledge the fact that there are a lot of people who are and have been through the same. I've had a pretty crazy ride when it comes to friendship. And must I say that my old group of friends was just like yours. I've never been the same either. Now, about your new set of friends: although they like you and treat you kindly, they might be influencing you in some way. If you can't help them out of depression and instead are experiencing it yourself, then you know you have to take a break from them. I'm not saying you're depressed because of them; however, being with them will not really help if they aren't giving you any positive thoughts when they don't have them themselves. You can either tell your friends you need a break and need to spend some alone time or just minimize your contact with them. After you do this, do not be alone at all times, but if you do, make sure you're somewhere like at a park or a beach. Just don't stay alone all the time because that isn't healthy either. Try it for a week, two, or maybe even a month. If you still don't see any changes in yourself, it's time to talk to your parents about it.

The other way you can have it is to share your feelings with someone who'd listen. If there's no one to listen, say it all out when you're alone. Know that you are being heard. It will lighten your heart a bit. Keeping yourself exposed to positive vibes helps a lot. Put up inspirational quotes on your wall, and talk to people who make you feel like you don't have to change yourself to impress someone. Being YOU is the most important thing. You might lack confidence, but who else is going to be you for you but yourself?

I hope you feel better, and thanks for reaching out to us.

The Advice Column Team